Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does Batting Go "Bad"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-batting-go-bad-t293648.html)

NZquilter 12-30-2017 08:37 AM

Does Batting Go "Bad"?

I am thinking about buying a roll of Cotton/poly 80/20 batting. The roll I am looking at is a 30yd roll. It's the best buy for the amount and it will last me forever. I was wondering though, if I buy it and can't finish it for a few years, do I run the risk of it rotting, mildew, or something awful like that? I will be keeping it upstairs in a bedroom vs in the basement. Sorry for the silly question!

meyert 12-30-2017 08:48 AM

well I hope not! :) I buy batting on a roll now too because its more economical. I have 2 rolls that I am using now (one is hobbs 80/20 and the other is warm and plush) Then Amazon had a good price on the warm and plush so I bought it.. and its still in the box. Who knows when I will get to that one :)

in my mind, I think as long as I keep it in a controlled environment it will be fine. My rolls are kept dry. I hope I am right

I do know that a local long arm quilter just bought 7 rolls - she said that is a years worth for her. So I feel like she would know. It must easily last a year or she wouldn't do that :)

QuiltnNan 12-30-2017 09:25 AM

batting doesn't go bad in a quilt from just sitting around, so why should it in a climate controlled room?

SusieQOH 12-30-2017 09:57 AM

NZ. I just found tons of batting in a crawl space over my bedroom that I forgot all about, which means it's been there for years :)
It is fine, not a thing wrong with any of it.

Snooze2978 12-30-2017 10:15 AM

I buy by the bolt/roll too and my sewing room is in the basement. Kept my extra one in my bathroom down here too. Now I have it hanging on a pole between the rafters over my cutting table. I've had batting for years in some of my drawers too and nothing seems to go bad for me. Some came while I still lived in Florida which is very humid year around. Now I live in Iowa and right now my basement is claiming 10% humidity. Might have to invest in a humidifier yet.

Bluelady 12-30-2017 10:21 AM

Some spiders laid eggs in one roll I have. I cut that part off after screaming....

nativetexan 12-30-2017 01:24 PM

I would just wrap it in sheets so bugs couldn't get in it. batting should last years and years. finished quilts do.

QuiltnLady1 12-30-2017 07:17 PM

I put W&N in a giant plastic bag and it was fine for years.

jmoore 12-31-2017 04:07 AM

I am just finishing up my first roll of W&N that I purchased about 5 years ago. I think you shouldn’t have any concerns as long as you are storing it in a clean dry environment. I am hoping to get more quilts done now that I’ve sold one of my businesses so I purchased another roll (Hobbs 80/20) this time. : )

MaryKatherine 12-31-2017 05:22 AM

I just keep my full bolts in their shipping bags and stand them in the corner of my basement work room. Never had an issue.