Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Does Batting Go "Bad"?

Does Batting Go "Bad"?

I am thinking about buying a roll of Cotton/poly 80/20 batting. The roll I am looking at is a 30yd roll. It's the best buy for the amount and it will last me forever. I was wondering though, if I buy it and can't finish it for a few years, do I run the risk of it rotting, mildew, or something awful like that? I will be keeping it upstairs in a bedroom vs in the basement. Sorry for the silly question!
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

well I hope not! I buy batting on a roll now too because its more economical. I have 2 rolls that I am using now (one is hobbs 80/20 and the other is warm and plush) Then Amazon had a good price on the warm and plush so I bought it.. and its still in the box. Who knows when I will get to that one

in my mind, I think as long as I keep it in a controlled environment it will be fine. My rolls are kept dry. I hope I am right

I do know that a local long arm quilter just bought 7 rolls - she said that is a years worth for her. So I feel like she would know. It must easily last a year or she wouldn't do that

Blog Entries
    batting doesn't go bad in a quilt from just sitting around, so why should it in a climate controlled room?
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

NZ. I just found tons of batting in a crawl space over my bedroom that I forgot all about, which means it's been there for years
    It is fine, not a thing wrong with any of it.

I buy by the bolt/roll too and my sewing room is in the basement. Kept my extra one in my bathroom down here too. Now I have it hanging on a pole between the rafters over my cutting table. I've had batting for years in some of my drawers too and nothing seems to go bad for me. Some came while I still lived in Florida which is very humid year around. Now I live in Iowa and right now my basement is claiming 10% humidity. Might have to invest in a humidifier yet.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Some spiders laid eggs in one roll I have. I cut that part off after screaming....

Blog Entries
    I would just wrap it in sheets so bugs couldn't get in it. batting should last years and years. finished quilts do.

I put W&N in a giant plastic bag and it was fine for years.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Blog Entries
    I am just finishing up my first roll of W&N that I purchased about 5 years ago. I think you shouldn’t have any concerns as long as you are storing it in a clean dry environment. I am hoping to get more quilts done now that I’ve sold one of my businesses so I purchased another roll (Hobbs 80/20) this time. : )
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Blog Entries
    I just keep my full bolts in their shipping bags and stand them in the corner of my basement work room. Never had an issue.
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelady View Post
    Some spiders laid eggs in one roll I have. I cut that part off after screaming....
    Hahahaha. Loved this story!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelady View Post
    Lol! Well, that will make some of them decide not to buy rolls! is what I thought when I read that.