Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does binding ever get easier? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-binding-ever-get-easier-t64772.html)

twinstitchin 09-14-2010 10:24 PM

Yes,it will get easier. I am self-taught and it took me 5 years to get the bindings I wanted. I tried any and every method I could. Now it is a breeze. I really like the Sharon Schamers you tube tute,be sure to look that up. Sounds like you may be cutting your quilt edge to narrow,this will cause you to lose your front binding edge. Hope this makes sense to you. Hang in there.

snipforfun 09-14-2010 10:30 PM

There is a wonderful book called Happy Endings. This will guide you through with clear instruction and illustrations. You can get a used one at amazon.com

AnnaK 09-14-2010 10:36 PM

Binding is my favorite part of quilting because once it's done...IT'S done! From the sounds of this board, I could probably go into the binding business. C'mon ladies, it's not that bad and it does get better as you go. I also recommend Sharon Schamber's web site. She has a great way of putting binding pieces together with a perfect 45 degree angle.

akrogirl 09-14-2010 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by AnnaK
Binding is my favorite part of quilting because once it's done...IT'S done! From the sounds of this board, I could probably go into the binding business. C'mon ladies, it's not that bad and it does get better as you go. I also recommend Sharon Schamber's web site. She has a great way of putting binding pieces together with a perfect 45 degree angle.

Sorry, but yes, it is that bad, lol. It takes me almost as long to sew down the back of the binding as to piece the whole top! Okay, maybe not quite that bad, but it sure feels like it ;-)

Laura3 09-15-2010 02:24 AM

I also used to hate binding, never could get it right. I am very weird about my wall hangings hanging straight. Then I watched the Sharon Schamber u tube video. I love the glue method and my last few baby quilts and wall hangings hang perfectly straight. I highly recommend it and love not having to pin....Good Luck

leatheflea 09-15-2010 02:25 AM

I have a Bias tape maker from Simplity. Love it. I use the sewing machine to attach to the front of the quilt and then hand stitch the back. Has anyone seen the fancy new attachment that goes on the sewing machine that folds and sews the binding? If I had $150 laying around that would be mine.

carrieg 09-15-2010 02:57 AM

Yes, it does get easier! You've got the hard part down - the mitered corners.

As adults we have a hard time remembering how much work it takes to learn a new task. We expect perfection from the start. Take a clue from the kiddos and keep working at it!

LadybugPam 09-15-2010 02:59 AM

Use your even feed foot - I find that the binding doesn't stretch the fabric creating gaps.
I have been sewing bindings for over 15 years and yes, I love doing it. I don't use straight pins (God help me if I get blood on the fabric! oh- and I don't like pain either). In order to help hold the binding down while you whip stitch it, there are tools to assist with that chore. Check with your local quilt shop. But for me, I sew my binding on the back and stitch it to the front with my machine. Easy-peasy.

quiltingfan 09-15-2010 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by lalaland
I hate sewing on the binding, it's just not my thing, so now I cut the back fabric larger and bring it over as the binding. I really like the technique and it takes the "pain" out the process for me. This is the website showing how to do it if you'd like to give it a try sometime.

http://www.lorettaalvarado.com/binding.htm

Have done it this way. Have hand sewn the binding have used the sewing machine, and have even double stitch it because it did not catch the first time. I now have a binding tool for my machine will see how that works.

KayT 09-15-2010 03:45 AM

I love binding, maybe you will to someday. Just keep trying, it seems you have it down, just practice.