Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does binding ever get easier? >

Does binding ever get easier?

Does binding ever get easier?

Old 09-14-2010, 05:36 PM

Hi everyone,

I have been quilting for the last year and have made at least 10 projects - my question is does binding ever get easier? I am never very happy with the final binding. Most times when I stitch on the front - thats ok - but when I hand stitch to the back - it's not the same size - I usually cut binding at 2 1/2 inches then press in half for double binding - it will look like 1/4" or 1/2" but when I turn it to the back for hand sewing - the edge maybe less than 1/4". Surprisingly enough, I don't have problems with the mitered corners.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:42 PM

I cut mine to 2-1/4 inches then press in half. Use your 1/4" foot to sew it on and then press flat. Then it will fold to the back with ease and should be even. If you have mastered mitering you have got the toughest part. Maybe the less 1/4" will help even it out.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:50 PM

Yes, it gets easier!! LOL! I can remember asking the same question!

I cut mine at 2-1/2, and sew on with a 1/4" seam. But I trim the quilt 1/4" beyond the edge. That way, I end up with a nice full binding and the folded edge of the binding ends up right at the stitching line on the back.

Have fun, and don't forget to breathe!!
Old 09-14-2010, 06:12 PM
Power Poster

I always do a practice bit to make sure I get the binding cut the right width.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:14 PM

*sigh* I ask myself the same question. I've been quilting for about two months, done about...5 bindings? Some come really easy, and others are horrible and I want to burn them. LOL

Let's hope it gets better!
Old 09-14-2010, 06:56 PM

I hate sewing on the binding, it's just not my thing, so now I cut the back fabric larger and bring it over as the binding. I really like the technique and it takes the "pain" out the process for me. This is the website showing how to do it if you'd like to give it a try sometime.

http://www.lorettaalvarado.com/binding.htm
Old 09-14-2010, 07:10 PM
Power Poster

I hope so!
Old 09-14-2010, 07:21 PM

The first double fold binding I ever did, I cut it at 2 1/2 and the backside of the binding was way to0 much. Now I cut 2 1/4", sew a 1/4" seam, glue the back side down, leting the binding just cover the seam, sew it down and now it is close to perfect.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by lalaland
I hate sewing on the binding, it's just not my thing, so now I cut the back fabric larger and bring it over as the binding. I really like the technique and it takes the "pain" out the process for me. This is the website showing how to do it if you'd like to give it a try sometime.

http://www.lorettaalvarado.com/binding.htm
Thank you. I am working on a baby quilt right now and cut the back larger so I could practice this method.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:32 PM

Nope, it doesn't. That is my least favorite part of the quilt. I always though it would mean "you are close to the end, be happy, celebrate, enjoy this last step." But I hate binding. Right now I have 3 quilts and a wall hanging waiting to be bound.