Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Does binding ever get easier?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grandaud
    I think binding is the funnest part of making a quilt. It means that you have just about completed the project. I cut my binding 2 1/2 inches like you do. I always sew the binding on then cut 1/4 inch from the edge of the binding so that I have a full binding. When being judged here at our county fair, that is one of the first things the judge looks at is the fullness of the binding. I always sew the back on by hand.

That is how I do it, but I trim the batting to the edge.
    How do you treat the mitred corner? Do you still stitch up to 1/4" before the end of the corner seam?

Blog Entries
    I love doing the binding. I never cut it narrower than 2.5 inches, and I like 3.5" even better. Doubled, I machine stitch it to the front, and have a generous amount to turn over. The wider binding looks lush to me, and it's very easy to work with. Also, I cut on the crosswise grain, just like other strips. IMHO, There is no reason do do bias binding unless you have a curved edge.

Bindings do get better.... I cut mine 2-1/4", fold in half, press, then sew it to the back. Then sew it to the front, and I am done! My hands can't take all that hand sewing, and I also don't have the patience--I want it done!

i've been quilting on and off for about 10 years (yikes) and the other day when i was sewing on the binding i was shocked to find that wow, this was getting easier, and brace yourself, easier! hooray!
    plus for most people it's not gonna take 10 years give or take! :)
    all the best to binding! and hooray for walking foots, they help me so much in this process.
    a

Blog Entries
    [quote=retired2pa]I guess I must be nuts but I love doing the binding :) I use to hate it and dreaded getting to that point because I could never make a nice "ending" where the 2 ends are joined together. It was always sloppy or lumpy. Then I came across this web by Connecting Threads and it was so simple I wondered why I was having such a hard time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buCKs...eature=related

Thank you for this tut. I always have trouble joining the ends, despite trying various methods, this has to be the "binding for dummies" version.

Quote Originally Posted by lalaland
    I hate sewing on the binding, it's just not my thing, so now I cut the back fabric larger and bring it over as the binding. I really like the technique and it takes the "pain" out the process for me. This is the website showing how to do it if you'd like to give it a try sometime.

http://www.lorettaalvarado.com/binding.htm
    thank you so much for this site tutorial. :-D
    I am going to make some pot holders as a surprise for a very nice lady that gifted me with a cd to quilt to.
    I'll show her how inspiring the music is :thumbup:

I still have a quilt I made almost 6 years ago, it's all quilted and I still haven't finished the binding. I hate binding more than anything I can think of, lol.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley
    Yes, it gets easier!! LOL! I can remember asking the same question!

I cut mine at 2-1/2, and sew on with a 1/4" seam. But I trim the quilt 1/4" beyond the edge. That way, I end up with a nice full binding and the folded edge of the binding ends up right at the stitching line on the back.

Have fun, and don't forget to breathe!!
    That's exactly how I do it as well......I love the look of having that little bit extra fullness in the binding. I just LOVE doing the binding - it's my favourite part!!!!

Power Poster
    Practice, practice and more practive. Then try suggested diffrent ways until you find what works for you. To have the miters down is quite an achievement so the binding should follow.

I love Sharon Schambers tricks on binding. Watch it on You Tube and don't miss the way she puts her quilt sandwich together. I think that one is titled basting your quilt. She is amazing. When putting you quilt sandwich together someone else suggested using spray glue, With that You could put the quilt together in 15+-minutes total.

I use the Binding Gizmo and my binding comes out perfect every time. Nadeen

I've always used the french bias binding method using 2" bias cut fabric - folding the bias strip in half, machine sewing the binding to the front, turning & hand stitching to the back. But then I'm a hand quilter also. I just got this link today - after seeing one of our charity quilts w/this method used on Tuesday. Looks really good, plus it's all machine done.

Here's a link to the faux corded binding tutorial

http://tlcstitches.blogspot.com/2010...-tutorial.html

Blog Entries
    really loved this faux corded look, when I do my next runner I am going to try it... jacie

Quote Originally Posted by 0tis
    Hi everyone,

I have been quilting for the last year and have made at least 10 projects - my question is does binding ever get easier? I am never very happy with the final binding. Most times when I stitch on the front - thats ok - but when I hand stitch to the back - it's not the same size - I usually cut binding at 2 1/2 inches then press in half for double binding - it will look like 1/4" or 1/2" but when I turn it to the back for hand sewing - the edge maybe less than 1/4". Surprisingly enough, I don't have problems with the mitered corners.
    No, but I learned to have more patience.

Holice did a great tutorial that is playing on Quilters TV--I just checked and it is still on. He has solved many of my problems. Thanks Holice.

MNM

Quote Originally Posted by 0tis
    Hi everyone,

I have been quilting for the last year and have made at least 10 projects - my question is does binding ever get easier? I am never very happy with the final binding. Most times when I stitch on the front - thats ok - but when I hand stitch to the back - it's not the same size - I usually cut binding at 2 1/2 inches then press in half for double binding - it will look like 1/4" or 1/2" but when I turn it to the back for hand sewing - the edge maybe less than 1/4". Surprisingly enough, I don't have problems with the mitered corners.
    My quilting teacher gave us a formula for figuring out the width you will need for a double binding. 6 times your width + 1/4."
    If you are using a 1/2 in binding you will cut fabric strips 3 inches + 1/4 ". Press the strip in half. Then use a 1/2 inch seam.
    If you want an inch wide binding cut your strips 6 inches +1/4" fold in half and press and your seam will be 1 inch wide. You will have a beautiful look on the front of the quilt and when you turn it over to the back side you can hand stitch it or machine stitch it. I prefer hand stitching It has always worked out well for me.
    MNM

I also love doing the binding on quilts - I cut 2-1/2" and use my walking foot to sew it on the front with about a 3/8" seam. It just covers the back seam when I turn it - I sew the back on by hand because I find it very relaxing to do while I'm watching tv.

What a great tutorial thank you for sharing it. You've proven even a mistake of 1" is not a devastating goof. As a novice I love all the short cuts you vets share with us.

Andie

As someone said, when you find what suits you best, it will become much easier. When stitching the binding by hand I cut mine 2 1/4 inches, but when machine binding, I cut 3 inches. The trick for me is to be sure it is starched really well. I starch before folding in half. By doing this, when you fold it, the binding just sticks to itself making for really easy ironing.

I'm one of those crazy ones who loves doing the binding.....
    I cut 2 1/2", double fold, sew the raw edge to the front with a 1/4" seam, mitering the corners......turn to the back and hand sew..I also love to have the extra on the back..I think that the bit of wider binding at the back does indeed look better. And yes, I always cut on the cross grain also...I agree that unless you have a curve to sew, no need to use up all of that extra yardages cutting on the bias....

I cut my bindng strips 2 3/4". Use the walking foot as a guide for the seam width, which is a little over a quarter-inch seam. When I wrap the seam to the back it is a little wider than the wrap from the top. This makes it nice for stitching in the ditch if I care to do that OR I can hand stitch.

After the cutting and piecing process, binding is up there on my list. It's a good feeling to know that I'm almost done with this quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by lalaland
    I hate sewing on the binding, it's just not my thing, so now I cut the back fabric larger and bring it over as the binding. I really like the technique and it takes the "pain" out the process for me. This is the website showing how to do it if you'd like to give it a try sometime.

http://www.lorettaalvarado.com/binding.htm

I would love to do it this way, and even tried it once, but my sandwich is never quite square, so i dont think it will ever work for me! ha ha!

Blog Entries
    Another weirdo who likes doing binding here. Yesterday I ran across these things called Zip Clips. They are in a cute little device (looks like a Pez dispenser) and it spits out these little metal clips that hold your binding in place...no pins! I've used the glue, but I think this will be even quicker!

I love the faux cording binding tute. Thanks so much for posting that!

I cut my strips anywhere from 1 7/8" to 2 1/2"...it all depends what type of batting I am using and how thick it is. Cut the strips a little wider, too, if you want a wider finished binding. The general rule is to cut the strips about six times the width of the finished binding that you want. This is for a double fold French binding. Remember to sew a 1/4" seam for a finished 1/4" binding...a 1/2" seam for a finished 1/2" binding...a 3/4" seam for a finished 3/4" binding...etc. I have evan made a 3" flange for a throw pillow with this binding method.

Blog Entries
    i like a 3" cut, folded in half. i sew it on the right side of the quilt with my walking foot using a 1/4 in. seam. then hand sew in down on the back. sometimes with a gift quilt, or one that i know is going to be washed lots, and loved lots i will zig zag it to the back. sewing carefully and straight. makes a nice decorative stitch on the front, when you are done.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast