Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Does binding ever get easier?

Quote Originally Posted by lalaland
    I hate sewing on the binding, it's just not my thing, so now I cut the back fabric larger and bring it over as the binding. I really like the technique and it takes the "pain" out the process for me. This is the website showing how to do it if you'd like to give it a try sometime.

http://www.lorettaalvarado.com/binding.htm
    Thank you for the link. I thinks this looks easy. I also like the look of the larger binding.

Blog Entries
    What a great tutorial, thank you!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nadeen gizzarelli
    I use the Binding Gizmo and my binding comes out perfect every time. Nadeen
    What's a binding gizmo?

Certainly have seen the binding foot that folds and attaches both sides to quilt in one easy step. I own a Bernina 630E and the hard part is getting the $231.00 that it will take to buy it. Am looking for a rich Santa, any one know where I can find one? LOL

A lot of people finnd binding hard that is why I started binding for others. This way they don't get frustrated.
    Marion

MNM

Quote Originally Posted by qltzig
    A lot of people finnd binding hard that is why I started binding for others. This way they don't get frustrated.
    Marion
    I like to do binding too. I bind for a friend that has had her knuckles replaced. Did not know they could do that. They set the tips of her fingers off slightly to the side so that she will not jam them. She cannot bend them to hold the quilt to bind. I bind all of her quilts and still enjoy doing them. I have two of my own that I am working on right now. Christmas gifts. MNM

Blog Entries
    I got so frustrated with one binding I did on my last quilt, I sewed on another border, front and back, and tied the darn thing like a rag quilt.

Blog Entries
    I do binding on the back side first, then turn it over to the front and sew it by machine. If I had do to that by hand, it would look bad and I might never get it done!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The first time I did binding, it took me six hours on my first doll quilt. now I get it done on a doll quilt in about 10 minutes. and I am learning to quilt, so that is really big for me. God bless.

I cut mine 2-1/2", fold in half lengthwise and press, then sew to the back at 3/8". I then press the binding, from the back, which lets it lay flat. The when I turn the edge over it is perfect in line with the first sewn seam. I don't even pin anymore except for the corner to get a good miter. I'll explain why.

Once the binding is halved it now measures 1 1/4" which equals 10/8ths. With a 3/8th seam, it reduces the binding to 7/8. You lose another 3/8th when it is pressed to the front, now 4/8 left. That leaves 1/8 for the turn and 3/8 to sew. the folded edge matches the sewn line. When I use a straight stitch to sew the binding on, I pin. When I use a decorative stitch I pin with my fingers.

I will admit that sometimes the batting in the seam wants to curl up and not lay flat. When this happens I overcast the seam either before or after I sew the first seam.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4