Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: paper piecing...get easier?

Hi quilters...I just took a class on paper piecing and thought it was pretty fun. Does it get pretty quick and easy once you get the hang of it? So far it seems to take me forever...but I'm only on my second block...any tips would be appreciated!

I've never tried it but it looks interesting.

Blog Entries
    I think it does get easier, especially if it is the same block over and over :wink: Also depending on the pattern if it is the same block you can chain sew them and that makes it even faster :lol:

Have fun :thumbup:

I've taken several and done a bit of it. I've made wall hangings and a mariner's compass quilt top. (blocks are done haven't got them sewn together into a top yet.) It gets a lot easier. But for now, take your time and make sure you do it right the first time so that you don't have to unsew. I've just been looking a some block patterns that I could use a white glow-in-the-dark fabric in to make a sub pattern.

Raptureready...my seam ripper has gotten a work out and I think I've figured it out again. It made so much sense in the class until I picked it up again...easy to get things goofed up! I'll keep practicing...

Yes, it gets easier. I love paper piecing.

My sister would rather paper piece than any other method. I struggle, struggle, struggle with it! I kept cutting off the wrong side of the fabric! I think it's something that you either get or you don't...obviously I'm not one that gets it! LOL

I've done some and thought it was fun and fairly easy. I have a box with all mine in it. Someday I will figure out what to do with them!

Blog Entries
    lol, I can relate with you there on the pp issue. I watched a demo on it at the quilt show here and tried it out on a simple tulip flower lol welllllllllllll it took me forever to get the little block finished. It seemed I would sew, take out, sew again, take out etc Sigh, I think it must get better once you get the knack for it. I will try again ....

Oh and this was paper foundation.. where you can leave it in. No tearing out the paper .. anyway, it looked easy when she did it!

It does get easier but I have seen some patterns with tons of tiny tiny pieces that I don't think I would ever attempt. I don't think I would have the patience for that. Most of them though aren't that bad & are alot of fun.

Not for me. I still do it, but can't say it is as relaxing as regular piecing to me.

Blog Entries
    I think it is easier if you can chain piece the blocks.
    I use a printed out foundation to use as templates, stack the fabric with the individual templates and sit and sew. I will get more confused trying to sew a whole block at a time. :D:D:D

Amma has the right idea. I like to get my pieces cut, and then sit down with a stack of patterns, and sew the first 2 pieces on. Then I can get up and stretch awhile. and iron them before going back to do the next piece. It does get easier and faster.But it is so worth it when you see the end results. Have fun with it!!

BIG TRICK LEARNED DIRECTLY FROM CAROL DOAK:

Take a piece of strapping tape and tape the card you use to fold on the line to the ruler. Line it up where it's supposed to be and tape it to one end. When you're paper piecing, put the card along the line, fold, bring the ruler over, cut. VERY VERY EASY!

If you use a piece of template plastic for your card it never frays or becomes soft on the edge.

If you invest in an Add-a-Quarter ruler (or Add-an-Eighth for tiny projects) it really will help. That's a ruler with a "lip" on it that's specifically designed for paper piecing.

I,ve tried it once and have to say that I don't know if I will again. It was very hard and am scared to do it now.

With PP you either love it or hate it. I happen to love it. It does get easier with time. Just relax and take your time with it.

It does get faster but a lot depends on the pattern you are paper piecing to begin with. For those that hate paper piecing or think they'll never get it--try an easier pattern. Don't start off with a Mariner's Compass. Start with Square in a Square or Log Cabin--chunky style--not the 10 layer 6" block. Odd angles still throw me off & I've been paper piecing for 6 years. I have found it speeds up my process to pre-cut my pieces to about the size I need and lay them next to my machine--chain piecing style. Chain sew several blocks and then cut all the chains & press out your seam with either a finger presser stick thing (forgot what it's called) or my favorite--the mini Clover iron. Have a pressing area right next to your machine so you don't have to keep getting up.

I don't use the fancy rulers to trim the seam allowances. I have my foundations all pre-folded so I just turn the block upside down, fold the paper back and eyeball trim with sharp little scissors that had better stay right by my machine or there is HE-double hockey sticks to pay!

I want to try the freezer paper method where you don't sew through the paper but haven't done it yet. Gotta get my inkjet printer hooked back up to print out the foundations. Not a good idea to run freezer paper through a laser printer.

Tried pineapple coasters and it was a total disaster. Don't know if I'll try again.

I just tried MY second block of PPing last night! It IS easier. I haven't had a class, but I went to the tutorial on this site and found a hint that REALLY helps. It involves using a credit card....check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by BKrenning
    It does get faster but a lot depends on the pattern you are paper piecing to begin with. For those that hate paper piecing or think they'll never get it--try an easier pattern. Don't start off with a Mariner's Compass. Start with Square in a Square or Log Cabin--chunky style--not the 10 layer 6" block. Odd angles still throw me off & I've been paper piecing for 6 years. I have found it speeds up my process to pre-cut my pieces to about the size I need and lay them next to my machine--chain piecing style. Chain sew several blocks and then cut all the chains & press out your seam with either a finger presser stick thing (forgot what it's called) or my favorite--the mini Clover iron. Have a pressing area right next to your machine so you don't have to keep getting up.

I don't use the fancy rulers to trim the seam allowances. I have my foundations all pre-folded so I just turn the block upside down, fold the paper back and eyeball trim with sharp little scissors that had better stay right by my machine or there is HE-double hockey sticks to pay!

I want to try the freezer paper method where you don't sew through the paper but haven't done it yet. Gotta get my inkjet printer hooked back up to print out the foundations. Not a good idea to run freezer paper through a laser printer.
    What is the freezer paper method??

Yes it gets easier. I love doing pp as it is so accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Minda
    Quote Originally Posted by BKrenning

What is the freezer paper method??
    You print your foundation off on freezer paper or use the method in the link below but instead of sewing through the paper, you fold it back, trim the fabric to 1/4" and sew the next patch on. Then you press it out and the freezer paper "sticks" to the patch you just sewed. Fold the paper back on the next sewing line, trim fabric, lay on the next patch and do it again. When you're all done, the fabric is stuck to the paper but it just pulls off and you can reuse your foundation many times before the "stickiness" wears off.

I saw Judy Mathieson demonstrate it on Simply Quilts a long time ago. Here's a link to a simple version of what I saw her working on: http://www.hgtv.com/crafting/found-at-sea/index.html

I gets easier the more you do it. Paper pieceing is like anythig you do...practice, practice practice...

I love it for the perfect points but it is slow!

I saw Judy Mathieson demonstrate it on Simply Quilts a long time ago. Here's a link to a simple version of what I saw her working on: http://www.hgtv.com/crafting/found-at-sea/index.html[/quote]

Oh I have never seen it done this way. I might have to try it soon. Thank you for postiing the web page.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast