Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: paper piecing...get easier?

I love it because you can chain piece. I do a whole rows worth of one color, fold trim, then move onto the next color. That way it seems to go faster than if you do one block at a time.

It gets easier. Off the subject, but I love your 2 adorable babies in your avatar. What kind are they, how old, names, etc.
    I have a terrier mix, Lucy, who is 1-1/2 years old and I love her to pieces.

I love paperpiecing and am amassing a collection of over 250 different 2 inch finished paperpiecing blocks! I have alot of "little" quilts started. I love designing,graph paper is my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltykim
    Hi quilters...I just took a class on paper piecing and thought it was pretty fun. Does it get pretty quick and easy once you get the hang of it? So far it seems to take me forever...but I'm only on my second block...any tips would be appreciated!
    PP is fun and exciting when you fit all those parts together. I've found some secrets to make it easier.

PP requires concentration with no interruptions. Put the animals out of your sewing area and don't answer the phone. Make sure you're rested and nothing is bugging you at the time. RELAX ! If you're tired and uptight, you will make mistakes quit often. Ask me how I know. Follow the procedure step by step until you feel comfortable with it and always check sewing and cutting lines twice so you won't have to unsew. Remember, you must be able to concentrate and put all your thots into the work. It does get easier and easier with experience. Oh, and take a 15 min. break every hour.

I have tried paper piecing several times and feel it wastes too much fabric. I bought the CD book, but it did not seem to help.

Blog Entries
    sier and becomes second nature.

Hi quilters...I just took a class on paper piecing and thought it was pretty fun. Does it get pretty quick and easy once you get the hang of it? So far it seems to take me forever...but I'm only on my second block...any tips would be appreciated!
    My experience has been that it just flies once you get the hang of it. Did you use the "Add a Quarter" ruler in your class? That makes it all so simple. That is a ruler that has a lip along one side that rests against your fabric to give you the quarter inch seam. They come in 12" & 6" lengths.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister Sal
    I didn't take a class. Just bought Carol Doak's book and took my time, going slowly. She has excellent instructions. I like to make my own patterns - simple as they are. I love paper peicing.
    She has a CD that's very good, too.

I won't say I am a convert to paper piecing, but I took a class on a Judy Neimeyer (sp?) method of piecing and for the first time I have finished the quilt. Her method made real good sense to me and she uses almost exclusively batiks. I am getting ready to start anothe one of her patterns. It is a refreshing change for me.

The person who taught me told me that either you immdeiately "get it" or you don't. If you don't, it will always be a struggle to paper piece. Something about right brain vs. left brain....

Keep practicing. I kept forgetting how to paper piece because I didn't keep doing it, but now I find it very easy.

I love the paper piecing for certain things. I try to used the freezer paper technique as much as I can. I print the pattern onto the freezer paper....no paper to tear off and I like that.

I have a little instruction sheet that I keep close by as one does forget a little if one doesn't do it all the time and one little reread, saves the day.

Quote Originally Posted by pamsmpk
    The person who taught me told me that either you immdeiately "get it" or you don't. If you don't, it will always be a struggle to paper piece. Something about right brain vs. left brain....
    If you are a person who likes jigsaw puzzles, you'll find it easier cause you're used to fitting odd pieces together.

Welcome to the wonderful world of paper piecing. The "Queen of Paper Piecing" Carol Doak's web site is very helpful. She also has a Yahoo group and lots of free patterns. All the members there are most helpful if you need any questions answered. I teach paper piecing and once the new students catch on they want to keep on doing their blocks this way. Check out Carol's website, http://www.caroldoak.com - I'm sure you will be impressed.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have not done it yet. God bless. Penny

Thank you hawaiilove for the site http://www.caroldoak.com. I love paper piecing. I downloaded a bunch of--the best part free-- patterns and the conversion for making paper piece patterns from regular patterns.

I need too know where the posting is using adding machine paper or something like that. I thought it was here in this section but cannot locate it. I thought I saved it in my favorites but can't locate it. Can you help me locate it when any of you have time! Thanks a bunch and hope I am not in the wrong thread too ask this question

I just bought the Carol Doak cd and watched it. I've never done this before but it looks easy to do.

Raptureready...my seam ripper has gotten a work out and I think I've figured it out again. It made so much sense in the class until I picked it up again...easy to get things goofed up! I'll keep practicing...
    I have a tip for you if when you having to rip and you tear the paper use some of the removeable tape . Carol Doak told us about it in a work shop. It works great and its easy to remove when needed.

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Like anything, I think it gets easier the more you do because you have become familiar and comfortable with the technique.

If you are doing several blocks of the same thing, you can chain-piece just like regular sewing. You may need to pull the piece you have just stitched out a bit to allow room for the next piece to be inserted and stitched, pull, stitch, pull, stitch.

I do lots of Mariner's Compasses and there are at least 8 identical sections to each block. I will work on all 8 at the same time. Stitch pieces #1 & #2, then press, stitch #3, press, stitch #4, press, etc.

Kathy

You'll ove it. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodles
    I need too know where the posting is using adding machine paper or something like that. I thought it was here in this section but cannot locate it. I thought I saved it in my favorites but can't locate it. Can you help me locate it when any of you have time! Thanks a bunch and hope I am not in the wrong thread too ask this question
    I can't remember what it was either. I tried to find adding mach. paper after that but couldn't find it. I didn't ck. the office supply stores yet though. Hopefully somebody will remember what the project was.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat G
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodles
    I can't remember what it was either. I tried to find adding mach. paper after that but couldn't find it. I didn't ck. the office supply stores yet though. Hopefully somebody will remember what the project was.
    Wasn't it inder String Quilts or something like that?

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Here is a tutorial on it.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-56940-1.htm

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast