Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: paper piecing...get easier?

Blog Entries
    I find that pp is still slow for me but it is easier than when I first started just recently,some one on the Dear Jane thread told me if you fold the piece you are sewing on face down on the fabric and the fabric is covering it ,the angle and all will fit. Dont know if I made sense ,but it works.

I don't know if it gets easier, but I do know I'm addicted to it. I never manage to get through a project of any kind --paper pieced or not--without frog stitching somewhere :) and paper piecing is no exception. I love the perfect points that come from this method too much to give it up! rusty

Ithink it does get easier as you go.
    Some patterns will have the measurements of the pieces of fabric to cut figured out, some have the 1/4 inch added on and some don't. I use cardstock or and old envelope for the folded edge and my 1/4 in ruler.
    To me the hardest part is the really pointed deep angles getting the measurements of them figured correctly the first time. I also have to agree practice, practice, practice. I love paperpiecing.
    When I do multiple blocks I chain sew and do at least half or more at a time.

I am working on a paper piece quilt do as much ripping as sewing. Can figure out how to cut the pieces. Right side of pattern piece to wrong side of fabric or what. I cut all the pieces out and them cut a 1/2or more over the pattern size It is not all straight block that is the problem. All help appreciated.

Carol Doak's cd is very helpful for reference as well.

Every time I start a pp block it takes a couple of tries to get off to the right start, but then things go faster.

the more you do the eaiser it gets.

Blog Entries
    I love to paper piece very small quilts, but I hate to take the paper off once it's finished. I don't cut my strips to size, I use over size pieces and haven't had any problems. Once I finshed the piecing, I spray the back with water, let it set a min. and the paper comes off real easy. Also, be use to set the sewing machine for very small stitches.
    I do not use PP for larger size quilt blocks as I can strip piece them faster.

I have sewn several paperpieced blocks. And, yes I keep the seam ripper close by. It seems that I get confused and end up with the wrong side showing. I really have to concentrate. But, I have succeeded in understanding the concept.

Quote Originally Posted by brookemarie19
    I,ve tried it once and have to say that I don't know if I will again. It was very hard and am scared to do it now.
    Ever watch a tv show that you didn't like? Did it stop you from ever watching tv again? No, I didn't think so. :lol: Keep trying, it does get easier. Paper piecing offers some of the prettiest block out there so don't deny yourself the opportunity to make them. Take a class from a good teacher and you'll find out that it's not all that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by pflum1
    I love to paper piece very small quilts, but I hate to take the paper off once it's finished. I don't cut my strips to size, I use over size pieces and haven't had any problems. Once I finshed the piecing, I spray the back with water, let it set a min. and the paper comes off real easy. Also, be use to set the sewing machine for very small stitches.
    I do not use PP for larger size quilt blocks as I can strip piece them faster.
    I never spray. When I'm done I give the block the old Carol Doak X Yank---that loosens most of the paper. Just grab opposite corners and give it a good yank. The stitches are so close together than you aren't going to damage them.

I love PP, but it is a slow sport. I do it when I need to slow down. Once you get into the repetition, it becomes very relaxing. Most important rule- When you think the piece is big enough to cover the space, MAKE IT BIGGER!

It does get easier, and once you see the finished block with all the nice pointed corners, etc. you'll be much more motivated to do more!

I have done quite a bit of paper piecing and it does get easier as you do more. the suggestion of using a 1/4 add ruler does help. Keep at it till you get it and you will enjoy lots of pretty blocks. And have fun doing it.

Blog Entries
    Absolutely it gets easier! Using the chain piece method is very fast and keeps me from getting confused. (Stitch all of one number at a time, stop to iron them, cut and go on to sew the next number.) Also, investing in the commercial 'paper piecing paper' that you can run through your printer is the way to go since it tears off easily. Never again will I pick out photocopy paper from those tiny stitches!

I love paper piecing. Have made several quilts with PP.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    BIG TRICK LEARNED DIRECTLY FROM CAROL DOAK:

Take a piece of strapping tape and tape the card you use to fold on the line to the ruler. Line it up where it's supposed to be and tape it to one end. When you're paper piecing, put the card along the line, fold, bring the ruler over, cut. VERY VERY EASY!

If you use a piece of template plastic for your card it never frays or becomes soft on the edge.

If you invest in an Add-a-Quarter ruler (or Add-an-Eighth for tiny projects) it really will help. That's a ruler with a "lip" on it that's specifically designed for paper piecing.
    I love my add a quarter ruler. What a time saver. Plus I have a tiny cutting board as well. It does get easier. I never thought I would get the hang of it but I love it. Just don't have enough time!

yes, it gets easier - almost routine after a while. I love it

I want to try it and hope to take a class this Fall. Have also found instructions on the net so will probably try it before the class.

I hope it gets easier. Once I get the hang og it, I forget if I don't keep working with it

I didn't take a class. Just bought Carol Doak's book and took my time, going slowly. She has excellent instructions. I like to make my own patterns - simple as they are. I love paper peicing.

I think it gets easier. Just remember to think backwards. My biggest problem is cutting patches that are large enough when there are angles involved. Now I am sure to cut out a piece of fabric the same basic shape as the patch, just a little bigger than what I need.
    However, ripping the paper out after I'm done NEVER gets easier. :lol:

I had done some paper piecing off and on and then took the challenge and took a class using a Karen Stone book and did a 16 block 48 X 48 wall hanging called Cino de Mayo. Now I am really hooked. I do admit that it took close to 4 years to finish but it was well worth it. It really does get additive and I can't wait to do another similar project. This pattern was done in really bright colors and helped me also to 'get out of the box' (quote from the instructor) in putting all colors and prints in the same project. Even though it took me that long to make, I did many projects during that time. It was a great project to work on and put aside and do something else, and then pick it up again.

I think it does get easier, the more you do it. You do need to pay attention to what you are doing tho. It's bad enough to put a fabric in the wrong section, but to discover it after you've sewn on three more pieces is really frustrating. Ripping is awful, since you're stitching is so tiny. Then the paper falls off, since it's already perforated from being sewn thru on those lines. I've made 4 PP quilts, the current one with lots of small pieces. PP is the only way I'd attempt the patterns I've made. Just keep at it and it should become easier with practice.

Power Poster
    Haven't done it for quite some time, but do remember it was fun.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast