Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
paper piecing...get easier? >

paper piecing...get easier?

paper piecing...get easier?

Old 06-30-2010, 09:38 AM

I love paper piecing. Have made several quilts with PP.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
BIG TRICK LEARNED DIRECTLY FROM CAROL DOAK:

Take a piece of strapping tape and tape the card you use to fold on the line to the ruler. Line it up where it's supposed to be and tape it to one end. When you're paper piecing, put the card along the line, fold, bring the ruler over, cut. VERY VERY EASY!

If you use a piece of template plastic for your card it never frays or becomes soft on the edge.

If you invest in an Add-a-Quarter ruler (or Add-an-Eighth for tiny projects) it really will help. That's a ruler with a "lip" on it that's specifically designed for paper piecing.
I love my add a quarter ruler. What a time saver. Plus I have a tiny cutting board as well. It does get easier. I never thought I would get the hang of it but I love it. Just don't have enough time!
Old 06-30-2010, 01:56 PM

yes, it gets easier - almost routine after a while. I love it
Old 06-30-2010, 01:56 PM

I want to try it and hope to take a class this Fall. Have also found instructions on the net so will probably try it before the class.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:10 PM

I hope it gets easier. Once I get the hang og it, I forget if I don't keep working with it
Old 06-30-2010, 02:21 PM

I didn't take a class. Just bought Carol Doak's book and took my time, going slowly. She has excellent instructions. I like to make my own patterns - simple as they are. I love paper peicing.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:42 PM

I think it gets easier. Just remember to think backwards. My biggest problem is cutting patches that are large enough when there are angles involved. Now I am sure to cut out a piece of fabric the same basic shape as the patch, just a little bigger than what I need.
However, ripping the paper out after I'm done NEVER gets easier. :lol:
Old 06-30-2010, 03:46 PM

I had done some paper piecing off and on and then took the challenge and took a class using a Karen Stone book and did a 16 block 48 X 48 wall hanging called Cino de Mayo. Now I am really hooked. I do admit that it took close to 4 years to finish but it was well worth it. It really does get additive and I can't wait to do another similar project. This pattern was done in really bright colors and helped me also to 'get out of the box' (quote from the instructor) in putting all colors and prints in the same project. Even though it took me that long to make, I did many projects during that time. It was a great project to work on and put aside and do something else, and then pick it up again.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:53 PM

I think it does get easier, the more you do it. You do need to pay attention to what you are doing tho. It's bad enough to put a fabric in the wrong section, but to discover it after you've sewn on three more pieces is really frustrating. Ripping is awful, since you're stitching is so tiny. Then the paper falls off, since it's already perforated from being sewn thru on those lines. I've made 4 PP quilts, the current one with lots of small pieces. PP is the only way I'd attempt the patterns I've made. Just keep at it and it should become easier with practice.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:23 PM
Power Poster

Haven't done it for quite some time, but do remember it was fun.