Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does it ever bother you that your work can look commercial? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-ever-bother-you-your-work-can-look-commercial-t50271.html)

kwhite 06-18-2010 05:14 PM

I really don't want to sound conceded. I just don't want to be wearing a dress I made and have someone assume I bought it at Penny's cause it is too good. I also don't want anyone to look at it and say WOW you had to make that in your basement either. I guess I just can't be satisfied.

cwessel47 06-18-2010 05:23 PM

Sometimes - when I am making things that I am planning to sell - I bite the bullet and use really cliched fabric choices. Patriotic, Christmas, Pastel-o-rama. I'm almost embarrassed to do it - but they do sell. So do it! Then make special things for yourself, family and friends. Your work is really beautiful. I may have to steal some hot pad patterns....

CAROLJ 06-18-2010 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Mine always have so many flaws that I don't have that problem. I would probably get upset if someone thought it was bought at a store.

ditto, plus I hand quilt, embellish or do something to give it a personal touch

b.zang 06-18-2010 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by kwhite
I really don't want to sound conceded. I just don't want to be wearing a dress I made and have someone assume I bought it at Penny's cause it is too good. I also don't want anyone to look at it and say WOW you had to make that in your basement either. I guess I just can't be satisfied.

But people pay big $$$ to have dresses custom made for them.
All you need to do is find people to pay you big $$$ to custom make quilts for them!

Maybe you need to start putting your labels on the front!

kwhite 06-18-2010 06:53 PM

HAHAHA Good idea. Like a little alligator on the upper left quadrant of the garment. Maybe I can revive IZOD.

Bottle Blonde 06-18-2010 07:01 PM

I think fabric choices make the difference. I went to a quilt show a few months ago and when I saw so many quilts at one time and could compare them side by side --- I saw quilts that appeared to have been made from a stash and some that looked like the maker purchased all the fabric at once for a pattern --- or that it was a kit. The latter group did have a commercial look to them, the material was just so matchy matchy.

lab fairy 06-18-2010 08:05 PM

I could get so lucky to have this sort of problem. Someday if I work really hard. Maybe that is why some people include a "humility" block?

mom-6 06-18-2010 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bottle Blonde
I think fabric choices make the difference. I went to a quilt show a few months ago and when I saw so many quilts at one time and could compare them side by side --- I saw quilts that appeared to have been made from a stash and some that looked like the maker purchased all the fabric at once for a pattern --- or that it was a kit. The latter group did have a commercial look to them, the material was just so matchy matchy.

I had a similar reaction to a quilt on display at one of the booths...absolutely gorgeous colors, beautifully done , and the kit was available for 'only' $150! I loved it, but I don't want one just like who knows how many other people are making. At least half the fun is picking out the design, the fabrics, the ultimate layout and knowing that you designed it...yeah, maybe it was a traditional pattern, or one designed by someone else originally, but in the end it has your persobal touches that make it unique.

twinstitchin 06-18-2010 08:11 PM

It took me a long time for me to show my work to other people,as I began to learn what to do,then I couldn't wait for someone to see my work. I am offended if someone thinks my work is "store bought",but what is worse is when you give someone a quilt and they don't even unfold it to look at it. That is when I wonder if I should have done all that work.

sewnsewer2 06-18-2010 09:19 PM

Nobody ever asks me if I bought it because they all know I make everything. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hummm, is that good or bad I wonder? :lol: