Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does it ever bother you that your work can look commercial? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-ever-bother-you-your-work-can-look-commercial-t50271.html)

C.Cal Quilt Girl 06-18-2010 10:34 PM

Mine dosen't look comercial, stitches are too close, but I want it to look good. Agree w/Bottle Blond and mom 6, make it original, thats fun to me! :)

manyana 06-18-2010 11:14 PM

I have up to this stage made my quilts all by hand. I was not relaxed using the machine. I have just purchased a new machine and am enjoying the speed of machine piecing. - lots more quilts may be made!!! I still prefer hand applique and quilting but may also attempt this on the machine at some stage.Mine do not look commercially made - there are too many flaws in them to be considered. But I have loved every one of them.

Gal 06-19-2010 02:11 AM

All my efforts look hand made and I love them that way, no chance of mine looking commercial, I am too old for that, I try especially hard to make mine look like the old fashioned kind of scrap quilt or country, machine pieced but hand quilted, warts and all!!

Gal

Rainy Day 06-19-2010 02:27 AM

My quilts do not look store made, unless the quality control were sick that day :roll: :lol:

athenagwis 06-19-2010 02:36 AM

Hmmm That's so funny!! Recently I made a Bow Tuck Purse, and my friend said "I hope you aren't offended, but that looks store bought!" I thought it was funny that she thought i would be offended by that, I was rather flattered that it didn't look "homemade". She compared it to Vera Bradley, which I see as a compliment since her stuff is well made. But I think on the flip side I can see what KWhite is saying. I would hate to put so much love and effort into a quilt, maybe give it to someone and then they pass it on so people don't know where it originated, and down the line it gets sold at a thrift store for $2 next to every other China made comforter because people can tell that it was handmade. That makes me sad, but it is hard to tell sometimes as I often want to rescue quilts in a thrift store myself and give them love, but I don't want to give love to a mass produced item and honestly without a label, sometimes it is so hard to tell!!

Rachel

Bobbielinks 06-19-2010 04:17 AM

Not if I'm making clothing. I want the item to look commercial. However; if its a quilt, I want it to look personal - one of a kind. Even quilting it on the machine, I want it to look personal (guess that is why I don't have a computerized quilting machine).

weezie 06-19-2010 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by kwhite
I really don't want to sound conceded. I just don't want to be wearing a dress I made and have someone assume I bought it at Penny's cause it is too good. I also don't want anyone to look at it and say WOW you had to make that in your basement either. I guess I just can't be satisfied.

You need to please yourself ... both in your garment sewing and quilts. You know when/if your work is good and, while it's nice to get compliments, it's not really what's important. I don't want to sound like a smarty pants, but I think you need to try to focus on your own good taste and judgement and not concern yourself about those other opinions.

sharon b 06-19-2010 02:31 PM

No worries about my quilts looking store bought :oops: LOL But I don't get offended :wink:

And I take it as a compliment when they think my clothes are store bought :thumbup:

littlehud 06-19-2010 03:08 PM

Mine have enough flaws to look handmade and I like it that way.

applique 06-20-2010 04:47 AM

My quilts have almost always looked like "my quilts" and I like it that way. Whether a commercial pattern or an original, they have my "stamp" on them. In clothing, my DD wouldn't wear it if it looked handmade, so I save the creativity for my granddaughter.