Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does this look alright? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-look-alright-t261804.html)

oklahomamom2 02-26-2015 05:16 AM

Does this look alright?

1 Attachment(s)
Alright well I found a wonderful pattern online but after looking at how much fabric I had I decided to put it together a little different mixing up the original pattern. I decided to to do a rectangle look on the bottom to add length and will be putting black fabric on the side and top/small strips of black fabric. But I need to know if I went in the right direction and if the quilt looks alright as is before I add black fabric? BTW, it is for my cousin's daughter for graduation. [ATTACH=CONFIG]511654[/ATTACH]

cjackaitlin 02-26-2015 05:49 AM

Love you quilt. I would use a strip of the blue, then add the black, it will break up all the black in the quilt. Or you can use a strip of the Green too. Mary

sprice 02-26-2015 06:03 AM

I think it would look more balanced if half the checkerboard was on top and half on the bottom. I see it is 7 rows--so make one more row and put 4 on top and 4 on the bottom. Maybe just me, but I like a symmetrical look usually. Otherwise, a very nice quilt.

Dina 02-26-2015 06:03 AM

I love that fabric!! I would also add a strip of blue and then the black border. It is a really neat quilt!!

Dina

ManiacQuilter2 02-26-2015 06:50 AM

I agree with sprice. I like things balanced with equal strips on the top and the bottom.

Neesie 02-26-2015 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by sprice (Post 7106112)
I think it would look more balanced if half the checkerboard was on top and half on the bottom. I see it is 7 rows--so make one more row and put 4 on top and 4 on the bottom. Maybe just me, but I like a symmetrical look usually. Otherwise, a very nice quilt.

I also agree with sprice. I love the checkerboard effort! It would be lovely to use that same arrangement as a border, all around.

feline fanatic 02-26-2015 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by sprice (Post 7106112)

I agree. For the most part the human brain prefers symmetry. Some asymmetrical designs are spectacular and I really like them but the very graphic nature of this design seems to call for symmetry. If you don't want to make another row, you can put 3 on top and leave 4 on the bottom.

kristakz 02-26-2015 09:38 AM

I too would change the checkerboard to 3 top/3 bottom. Also I see that the final row of checkerboard looks like it is misaligned, as the black squares line up with the row above, rather than being staggered.

deriz56 02-26-2015 10:45 AM

Ditto, it's not just you sprice.

Barb in Louisiana 02-26-2015 04:51 PM

I like it just the way it is and with your thoughts on the finishing. It has that modern quilt look that I love. And so do many of the younger folks these days. You did a great job. Would you share the pattern that was your inspiration? I'd like to see how you mixed it up and came up with your version.