Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does this look o k for a man quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-look-o-k-man-quilt-t214566.html)

labtechkty 02-24-2013 03:44 AM

Post pics when you are finished....I'm sure he will treasure it...

helenhiwater 02-24-2013 07:03 AM

When I started looking for a pattern for our bedroom quilt, my husband the gun nut said he wanted an oriental theme! It all depends on the taste of the person you are making it for. I like your fish.

Pieces2 02-24-2013 07:11 AM

Not really, the background fabric is not manly fabric. Think black/white quilt. Dark colors.
Simple patterns usually work best like a 4-patch, D9-patch.
Maybe you have enough fabric to make a 1600 quilt.

MadP 02-24-2013 07:16 AM

I used pattern rail fence in black, browns and grays and a bit of beige. I think they turned out good for guys. One grandson's house is decorated in those colors so a very good match.

SoBuzy 02-24-2013 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jim (Post 5881727)
Being male and from a man's perspective I'd love it and he will love it even more since you made it especially for him

Jim, how nice of you to give a man's perspective! I'm not a man BUT I thought it was perfect......glad to know I wasn't off base in my thinking as I loved it! Aileen, can't wait to see the finished quilt! I'm finishing a quilt that I started in the early 90's when I knew nothing about quilting....I am finishing it scrappy......as I can no longer get nor want the colors I started with...dare not post it as I mean I am truly going scrappy and I can just imagine the comments I might get!!!LOL! But, it will be beautiful to me ....or NOT but out of my mom's closet and on MY bed!

Christine- 02-24-2013 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingKrazy (Post 5881110)
The idea is good, I'm just not sure about the bright colors. But you know his taste. Ijust think men, more darker colors. here is a picture of a quilt I did for coworkers brother. The quilt was made from old men ties! The pattern is a freebie at All people quilt website. I think it was called barcode.

I love this Quilt! Thanks for sharing the website info... going to go get it now.

Christine
http://www.quiltdasher.blogspot.com/

JulieR 02-24-2013 08:25 AM

My husband wants a grandmother's fan in blues, because he loved the one in yellows that he had as a kid. Every man is different, just like every woman is. Since your son doesn't really care for one and you're doing this for yourself, then make what you like and let it go when you give it to him -- don't be upset if he puts it in a closet and you never see it again. BUT, someday he might decide he wants something, and then let him tell you what he wants.

sewbizgirl 02-24-2013 08:41 AM

I see you've decided to change the sashing... I think that's a good idea for a more manly quilt. If your son doesn't want a quilt right now, I'd make it anyway and just keep it to give him at another time. Later he may ask you for one, or you could leave it to him in your will! It would still be his, even if it lived at your house for a while.

I love what you've done for your grandkids' quilts!

Janie67 02-24-2013 09:20 AM

Use your stash for dementional bow tie quilt. The variety from your stash would be nice and the bow tie "manly". I used 5inch squares and it went together quick. There are various ways to assemble in a top.

Sierra 02-24-2013 09:56 AM

Themes of fish, trees, etc.... If your son hunts, fish, camps, walks the trails... you have a sure winner (even if he is luke warm now.... but, after reading what others have written about people, especially family, using it under the pickup or for the pets... I'd tell him if he doesn't want it now, you'll store it yourself!) Yours' is really a beautiful start!!!!

My grown sons got a fantasy quilt with dragons, Merlin, etc; a NW first nation 5' bear, a crane flying thru hardship (a dear neice he was mentoring had died young). None of those were "manly" but accept for the crane (which is put away) they are all still being used. My DH wanted a desert theme, and later a SW native motif. Unless they belong to a strong "male" group I don't think they particularly "need" something MALE. It's just a blanket.... sort of.

Just a note, my guys all seem very comfortable being men and being gentle, but not a one of them would be caught dead in a bow tie! Isn't that odd?