Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does this look o k for a man quilt

Does this look o k for a man quilt

I have racked my brains trying to decide what to make my 39 year old son for a quilt. I have made everyone else in the family one but him and I didn't want it to look too girlish so I found these patterns from a couple books I had that I really like. I am kind of limited with my fabric choice because I am shopping from my stash for the time being. I tried to put together a patch work block, got it crooked and out of shape [don't you just hate those days!] so I reverted back to good old applique, which I love to do very much.
    Attached Images Attached Images

man quilt

I think it would be ok myself I think I would do something like hunting them

Blog Entries
    The idea is good, I'm just not sure about the bright colors. But you know his taste. Ijust think men, more darker colors. here is a picture of a quilt I did for coworkers brother. The quilt was made from old men ties! The pattern is a freebie at All people quilt website. I think it was called barcode.
    Lisa B in NC
    Quilting is my Happy Thought!
    http://www.quiltingkrazy.blogspot.com

That is really neat. I will check that site out too. Thanks for the info. I am going to pin a few more blocks, maybe do some grays or checks with the fish and see how it looks. I believe if I put the tree blocks all around the fish and place the fish squares in the middle with sashing it might turn out kind of cute. All the trees will be green and brown and the fish should lend a masculine feel. Plus I plan on adding a green boarder.

Blog Entries
    looks fine so far.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Cool idea. How about some more applique: http://www.freeapplique.com/animalpatterns2.html

Site bookmarked

I bookmarked the applique site, thanks. I love the bear and the deer which is in our neck of the woods anyway. Here is a few pics of the twin quilts I did last year for my grand kids. The wagon wheels are for the 14 year old girl and the horses and cowboys for the four year old boy. I got the applique patterns from one of Nancy Mahoney's books. I just love her applique work.
    Can you tell we love horses?Used to have five at one time but talked hubby into downsizing. I hand quilted both, not extensively, my arthritic fingers are not what they used to be.

Good luck, I'm sure he will like anything you make him. You're grandkids quilts are gorgeous.

Thank you all for the replies. I made my daughter a sunflower quilt too, a regular, I named flowers in my garden. It was a very quilty year for me. lol But this year, God willing, will be too. My sis and I have two wedding quilts to make for a great niece and great nephew who plan on getting married soon, one in August. My own quilt I want to make for myself, a peaches and cream log cabin, will have to be put on hold for a while, unless I can sneak some of the work in between times.

I think your appliques are great, but I'd choose something a bit darker for the sashing and borders.

Jim
    Being male and from a man's perspective I'd love it and he will love it even more since you made it especially for him
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol:

Thank you so much again. I will post more when I get some of it sewn together.

Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
    I think your appliques are great, but I'd choose something a bit darker for the sashing and borders.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Love the trees and fishes but the sashing doesn't seem to fit with it.
    ​Nancy

QM
    It all depends on the guy.

Blog Entries
    You should ask him. My 27 year old son, when I asked him wanted a Dr. Suess Quilt..I would have never guessed that...and its very bright. He loves it....and takes it everywhere (when he is traveling)...he loves the comments and of course how warm it is.

I think it will be fine for your son. Since you're known for applique, I'm sure he definitely would want a quilt in your style.

Blog Entries
    You've said that you've made 'everyone else' in the family a quilt, but your 39 yr old son. Did you shop from your stash for them as well? The sashing fabric appears to be in the light turquoise family. In order to make sure it looks 'manly' I'd use darker colors, maybe even solid fabrics. Unless your son likes those types of fabrics you've chosen. That being said, no matter what you make his quilt from, it will keep him warm.

I had the ability to ask each immediate family member what they'd like their quilt to be, and they helped pick out the exact colors. That way I knew they'd like it. For some extended family members, I asked what the color scheme was in the room that I was going to be making the quilt for. Otherwise, they helped in picking out the fabric if they wanted a different color. I always picked out a few yards of coordinating fabrics when making every quilt, that way even if the colors they chose weren't my favorites, I still enjoyed piecing and adding my picks too!

Good luck and hopefully you'll post what the finished project looks like for your 39 year old son.
    Go forth and sew!

I have decided to change the sashing to a warm green which will look better. Thanks for the tips. Oh, my son, when I told him he was next on the list for a quilt he said, what do I need a quilt for! He could care less. But I told him he was getting one whether he liked it or not, lol Some day he may appreciate the effort momma put into it, if not then he will have it anyways. This project is more for my therapy than for him at the moment but I know when it is made he will take it and thank me kindly for it and maybe keep it to remember me by. That is my hope anyway.

Looks good. IMO, it's not the pattern so much as the colors and print design that matters.

And your choices fit that bill.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by ailene View Post
    I have decided to change the sashing to a warm green which will look better. Thanks for the tips. Oh, my son, when I told him he was next on the list for a quilt he said, what do I need a quilt for! He could care less. But I told him he was getting one whether he liked it or not, lol Some day he may appreciate the effort momma put into it, if not then he will have it anyways. This project is more for my therapy than for him at the moment but I know when it is made he will take it and thank me kindly for it and maybe keep it to remember me by. That is my hope anyway.
    Sounds like a great plan!

Post pics when you are finished....I'm sure he will treasure it...
    Kitty

Blog Entries
    When I started looking for a pattern for our bedroom quilt, my husband the gun nut said he wanted an oriental theme! It all depends on the taste of the person you are making it for. I like your fish.
    every cloud has a silver lining but sometimes it is hard to get to the mint

Not really, the background fabric is not manly fabric. Think black/white quilt. Dark colors.
    Simple patterns usually work best like a 4-patch, D9-patch.
    Maybe you have enough fabric to make a 1600 quilt.

I used pattern rail fence in black, browns and grays and a bit of beige. I think they turned out good for guys. One grandson's house is decorated in those colors so a very good match.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Being male and from a man's perspective I'd love it and he will love it even more since you made it especially for him
    Jim, how nice of you to give a man's perspective! I'm not a man BUT I thought it was perfect......glad to know I wasn't off base in my thinking as I loved it! Aileen, can't wait to see the finished quilt! I'm finishing a quilt that I started in the early 90's when I knew nothing about quilting....I am finishing it scrappy......as I can no longer get nor want the colors I started with...dare not post it as I mean I am truly going scrappy and I can just imagine the comments I might get!!!LOL! But, it will be beautiful to me ....or NOT but out of my mom's closet and on MY bed!
    "Seeking God's guidance is the key to success... even in daily living when we learn to LISTEN!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast