Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sometimes the Man does know best >

Sometimes the Man does know best

Sometimes the Man does know best

Old 02-05-2016, 02:54 PM

Talking Sometimes the Man does know best

So Dh came up to the office (which doubles as our guest room and has a queen sized bed) to find me practically in tears as I looked at the completely finished top for DD and SIL's quilt. It was almost touching the floor on three sides. I don't know how I miscalculated, but in my opinion, it was about 10 inches too big all around. I was trying to figure out the easiest way to dismantle a portion of it and re-size.

He started asking me questions:

'Is this the size of their bed?' Yes.

'Is their bed this low or is it higher?' I think it is a bit higher.

'Will the top be the same size after it is quilted?' Well, probably a bit smaller because of the quilting.

'What about after it is washed? It's cotton, right? and cotton shrinks, right?' Well, yes it will probably shrink a bit when it is washed because I want to use Hobbs 80/20. (small sidebar while I explained what 80/20 meant )

'What if you just trimmed a bit off the last border all around? Would that be enough?' Ummm.....(a moment or two of silence as I contemplated that easy fix and kicked myself for not thinking of it ) Okay, I could get it quilted the way it is, remeasure and trim if necessary at that point. Eureka!! Yes, that might just work!

'Well then, can I have my chair back please?'

What a man!!
Old 02-05-2016, 02:57 PM

He is definitely a keeper.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:50 PM

Love the logical way he approached the problem!
Old 02-05-2016, 04:04 PM
Power Poster

If the kids don't have a king size bed then being too big is great. They will have one eventually. If they do have a king and the quilt almost touches the floor, good luck finding a LA that can fit it on the frame. LOL
Old 02-05-2016, 05:12 PM

Oh no problem finding an La'er. I have been using my Sister's for a couple of years and she is wonderfully accommodating. She did my 106x118 for my king and a beautiful job she did too!! I think I was so excited to have finished the top and then had the "Oh 'bowel movement' moment". Just needed to be talked down.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:24 PM

Great guy!!! I have one like that too. Helps me all the time, especially with the math, (which I,m terrible at).
Yep, keep him.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
So Dh came up to the office (which doubles as our guest room and has a queen sized bed) to find me practically in tears as I looked at the completely finished top for DD and SIL's quilt. It was almost touching the floor on three sides. I don't know how I miscalculated, but in my opinion, it was about 10 inches too big all around. I was trying to figure out the easiest way to dismantle a portion of it and re-size.

He started asking me questions:

'Is this the size of their bed?' Yes.

'Is their bed this low or is it higher?' I think it is a bit higher.

'Will the top be the same size after it is quilted?' Well, probably a bit smaller because of the quilting.

'What about after it is washed? It's cotton, right? and cotton shrinks, right?' Well, yes it will probably shrink a bit when it is washed because I want to use Hobbs 80/20. (small sidebar while I explained what 80/20 meant )

'What if you just trimmed a bit off the last border all around? Would that be enough?' Ummm.....(a moment or two of silence as I contemplated that easy fix and kicked myself for not thinking of it ) Okay, I could get it quilted the way it is, remeasure and trim if necessary at that point. Eureka!! Yes, that might just work!

'Well then, can I have my chair back please?'

What a man!!
Great advice. I have had recipients tell me they are glad when the quilt is larger because it covers their thick mattresses, etc. Too short is a different thing though.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:48 AM

great idea to have it quilted first then trim after... I'm sure it will finish up nicely. I agree with slbram17, a lot of quilts are too short of the first mattress.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:25 AM

Sometimes it just takes someone who is not emotionally involved in the problem to ask the right questions.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:36 AM

OMG, if he's like mine he'll be advises you from now on whether you want it or not!so glad he helped you figure out a good fix