Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does this method of preparing binding help avoid puckers??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-method-preparing-binding-help-avoid-puckers-t194572.html)

Mkotch 07-16-2012 02:52 AM

Do you use the straight grain or bias? I usually use the straight grain and don't get puckers. I don't find a need to use bias unless I round the corners or make a scallopped edge.

fayefromfla 07-16-2012 03:40 AM

I use a walking foot or the starch and press method.

copycat 07-16-2012 03:55 AM

I will try putting the pressed binding on a roller as you described. Thanks for passing on this tip. Now< I better get on a ROLL and get this binding on a roll. HA! copycat

lorli 07-16-2012 04:30 AM

I love that roller idea! I sewed a binding on last week and it kept falling onto the floor.

Latrinka 07-16-2012 04:58 AM

As with everything, do what works for you.

MarthaT 07-16-2012 05:04 AM

No one has mentioned that when zigzagging around the edges you compress the edge of the quilt so that you don't have a "full" binding. I like my finished edge with binding to be as thick as the quilt. I do hand baste around the raw edges to keep the edges together when sewing on the binding, but I like the raw edges of the quilt to fluff back up to fill up my binding.

mary705 07-16-2012 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn (Post 5363530)
IMHO I think it is just a extra step (zig-zag) that I would not care to do. Possibly it would keep one from stretching the fabric to much.

I put my binding on with my walking foot, after I fold and press.

Since the walking foot does not have marks/guides, I have worked out a method, for me, to get the seam allowance that I want by moving my needle and using the edge of the foot.

One method that works for one person may not work for another. Find one that you like and go for it.

This is the ame way I do my binding. I also use the binding clips (the ones like hair clips) after sewing the binding on.

SandyQuilter 07-16-2012 06:58 AM

I assume the reason you get puckers in your binding is that the binding is too long for the quilt edge. Measure the CENTER of the quilt in both directions. That is the length to cut the binding strips, plus extra for corner turns. You shouldn't ever have puckers in your binding doing this. For instance, if the center length is 50 inches and the edge measures 51, cut the binding 50 plus corner allowances. Pin mark the binding and quilt into half and quarters, and pin the binding to the quilt matching the pins. Let the corners hang loose. Stitch the binding to the quilt, easing in the quilt's excess. No puckers and a smooth, non wavy quilt edge.
SandyQuilter

sewNso 07-16-2012 09:33 AM

i use a walking foot to attach my binding to the quilt. never have puckers, whether i do the final hemming by hand, or do it on the machine with a zig zag stitch, or decorative stitch.

and i never measure the length for binding, i just sew a bunch of strips together, fold, iron, hook them together with a large safety pin, hook it to my shirt, and start sewing the binding on.

Donna in Mo 07-16-2012 09:39 AM

Luckily, binding is one thing that I never have trouble with. The hardest quilt I did was the Double Wedding Ring. But I got through it pretty good. I always use the IDT on my Pfaff 2144.