Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   This does not look good... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-not-look-good-t258761.html)

cminor 12-26-2014 01:25 PM

This does not look good...

1 Attachment(s)
I am doing this quilt for a friend. She is giving it to her niece as a gift. She picked the fabric and the pattern but said she is flexible. I don't think this is working - but everything is cut. Any suggestions? Sashing maybe? It just seems too busy to me but I generally like a lot of white to frame my blocks and that was not the look she was going for....

What can I do to make it easier on the eyes?

newbee3 12-26-2014 01:34 PM

I do not see anything wrong with it is a very modern looking quilt

barny 12-26-2014 01:37 PM

I don't see a thing wrong with it. I like it.

Neesie 12-26-2014 02:02 PM

Why not show her this picture and ask her opinion? Looks fine, to me. I generally prefer color, to too much white.

joobee 12-26-2014 02:15 PM

Very nicely done. I might add a dark border to the outside to unify the whole.

toverly 12-26-2014 02:25 PM

Looks good to me. It is a contemporary looking quilt. Her niece will probably love it. I would put a border around it the same width as the borders in the block.

lfty298 12-26-2014 02:30 PM

Hi Cminor
It can be hard to work on a quilt with someone else's fabric choices - not because we are such aesthetic princesses, but just because it is hard to tell when something looks right. Here are my 4 suggestions'
- I wonder if the bright white is just creating too much contrast. Maybe you can soften it with a bit of medium gray. If you are committed to the already cut fabrics, it will limit what you can change.
- If you have access to a quilt design program (like EQ or QuiltPro) try changing the colors and placement around a bit. Sometime the smallest change can be effective.
There is an online quilt program called MyWebQuilter.com - it is user friendly, free and doesn't require much to register (email and create and confirm a password). Not a substitute for a full featured program - but it might help. It bailed me out last week when I was choosing a color combination.
- Show your friend what you have at this point and tell her why it doesn't work for you - maybe it's fine with her and just what she expected.
The design is really not that bad - like you, it is not my favorite, but it doesn't hurt my eyes and I honestly think this is a question of personal taste.
Hope the piecing and quilting is more fun than the design part.
Lefty - in Philly

Kassaundra 12-26-2014 02:41 PM

I think maybe a different layout, maybe one that is less scrappy and more intentional. Like all the same colored squares in a row or column

QUILTNMO 12-26-2014 02:49 PM

i think it looks ok maybe a darker border hard to sew or quilt for other people!

sewsewquilter 12-26-2014 02:55 PM

It looks great! You are just out of your comfort zone. :)