Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: This does not look good...

This does not look good...

I am doing this quilt for a friend. She is giving it to her niece as a gift. She picked the fabric and the pattern but said she is flexible. I don't think this is working - but everything is cut. Any suggestions? Sashing maybe? It just seems too busy to me but I generally like a lot of white to frame my blocks and that was not the look she was going for....

What can I do to make it easier on the eyes?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I do not see anything wrong with it is a very modern looking quilt

Blog Entries
    I don't see a thing wrong with it. I like it.

Why not show her this picture and ask her opinion? Looks fine, to me. I generally prefer color, to too much white.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Very nicely done. I might add a dark border to the outside to unify the whole.

Looks good to me. It is a contemporary looking quilt. Her niece will probably love it. I would put a border around it the same width as the borders in the block.

Hi Cminor
    It can be hard to work on a quilt with someone else's fabric choices - not because we are such aesthetic princesses, but just because it is hard to tell when something looks right. Here are my 4 suggestions'
    - I wonder if the bright white is just creating too much contrast. Maybe you can soften it with a bit of medium gray. If you are committed to the already cut fabrics, it will limit what you can change.
    - If you have access to a quilt design program (like EQ or QuiltPro) try changing the colors and placement around a bit. Sometime the smallest change can be effective.
    There is an online quilt program called MyWebQuilter.com - it is user friendly, free and doesn't require much to register (email and create and confirm a password). Not a substitute for a full featured program - but it might help. It bailed me out last week when I was choosing a color combination.
    - Show your friend what you have at this point and tell her why it doesn't work for you - maybe it's fine with her and just what she expected.
    The design is really not that bad - like you, it is not my favorite, but it doesn't hurt my eyes and I honestly think this is a question of personal taste.
    Hope the piecing and quilting is more fun than the design part.
    Lefty - in Philly

I think maybe a different layout, maybe one that is less scrappy and more intentional. Like all the same colored squares in a row or column
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Power Poster
    i think it looks ok maybe a darker border hard to sew or quilt for other people!
    QUILTNMO

It looks great! You are just out of your comfort zone.
    Deb

I think the quilt looks wonderful! Keep going with it.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

RST
    Blog Entries
    I agree with others who are essentially telling you that while this may not be your style, it looks good. I would not add sashing or rearrange the blocks much if at all. If anything, a dark framing border, though I personally would skip any border.

I like it!

It's working for me and looks easy on my eyes, but I would use the mottled black and gray that you have interspersed through the quilt as my border.

I like it, but modern quilts with high contrast are my style. I would let her preview it to see if it is what she had in mind, and if so, go for it. I bet the niece will love it.

These are good suggestions and summarize what I was thinking.

I'm sure that once it is finished and quilted, it will be lovely. I've made a few quilts that I thought were, shall we say, doubtful, but after quilting and binding turned out nicely.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

I would do some minor rearranging of blocks if it were mine, but other than that I think it looks great. Try moving some of the blocks around a bit and see if that "feels" better to you.

Quote Originally Posted by cminor View Post
    I am doing this quilt for a friend. She is giving it to her niece as a gift. She picked the fabric and the pattern but said she is flexible. I don't think this is working - but everything is cut. Any suggestions? Sashing maybe? It just seems too busy to me but I generally like a lot of white to frame my blocks and that was not the look she was going for....

What can I do to make it easier on the eyes?
    if she likes it, go with it!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I like it a lot!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I'm with everyone else. Just move on and finish it. If you don't want to use a border then bind. The only thingout of my comfort zone is bargellos and starry points!

My only suggestion would be to separate the lightest tan fabric blocks and the busy print (black and tan beans?) blocks a bit so your eye travels over the quilt. My eye wants to stop and get stuck on those. Other than that -- and it's only a suggestion -- this looks like a great modern quilt to me. A young person should love it!

Thanks everyone! I will keep going. This is only a quick sample and there are more of one color than the other. I just wanted to get some going so once I get more done it should look a little more balanced. At least that is my hope

It might be exactly what your friend wants! I think you should show her before you change anything. (This is why I have so far refused all requests to make a quilt for someone else, to their specifications. I think I would lose the joy in this hobby if I were doing quilts to other people's tastes.)
    Jenel Looney
    Assistant to Susan Mallery
    New York Times bestselling author

I really like it as is. I think you are doing a great on it. I wouldn't change a thing.

Looks great to me! Use a narrow white inner border and a four inch dark blue border to finish it. Your quilt is an eye popper as it is. froggyintexas

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast