Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What does "Good" hand quilting look like..... >

What does "Good" hand quilting look like.....

What does "Good" hand quilting look like.....

Old 08-01-2010, 08:44 AM

Ypu probably think this is a dumb question but I have just learned to hand quilt and although I have been told I am doing a good job, I really wonder. Are my friends just being polite? Am I really doing a good job? So that is why I am asking..."What does good hand quilting look like"? I would love to see some good examples so I know what my goal is to achieve. By the way, I am REALLY enjoying hand quilting!! Who would have known! Not me. I had alot of other things I would have liked to have learned but hand quilting was not really on my list. My interests were more towards learning to machine quilt. My local sewing group is making a Dresden Plate quilt to be raffled off with the proceeds to be given to our local food pantry to help feed people in our community over the holidays that are struggling financially. This quilt will be all hand quilted. I thought well I guess I need to learn to hand quilt so I can do my share in helping with this project but never thought I would want to do any hand quilting when the project was completed. Well, I REALLY enjoy hand quilting and plan to hand quilt some of my quilts. I am sure I will still want to machine quilt some but I would have NEVER thought that I would like hand quilting. So ya never know. Try it you may find you like it too. Back to my point. Please send in some examples of hand quilting "close ups" so I know what my stitchs should look like.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:59 AM

Corry, look for even stitches and don't worry about the stitch length. The back should look pretty nice, too.

If you go through the picture section you'll find lots of photos already posted, included some yummy projects by Andrea (Borntohandquilt), and a lovely wholecloth done by someone else - sorry, I don't remember her name.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:18 AM

Corry, I absolutely second what Janet said: even stitches are important. Just do the best you can, your skills will improve with practice. For me hand quilting is like hand writing: it's a very personal thing and looks different when it is made by different quilters. Take the time to find your own way, have fun and enjoy the process!
When I compare my first quilting stitches with the work I do today then it is a big difference. Practice changes a lot, you will see!
Old 08-01-2010, 10:58 AM

Corry, I was browsing through another website today and saw a quilt that showed beautiful hand quilting. It's my goal to have my stitches just as good as that poster's work. I THINK it was on the Quilt in a Day forum.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
For me hand quilting is like hand writing: it's a very personal thing and looks different when it is made by different quilters. Take the time to find your own way, have fun and enjoy the process!
Thank you so much for saying this! :D
Old 08-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Power Poster

I have heard that stitch length is more important then how many stitches per inch :lol: For me as long as I like it :wink: Just relax , enjoy and have fun :thumbup:
Old 08-01-2010, 10:32 PM

I use a pinwheel to mark my seams and stitch length. That way, I know exactly where the needle is to go in and out. It also makes it look like I know what I'm doing :D... not...