Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   does putting thread in the freezer work? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-putting-thread-freezer-work-t185067.html)

jaciqltznok 04-05-2012 09:59 AM

use this method to Rehydrate older cotton or silk threads!

SueSew 04-05-2012 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 5117506)
And just how can a frost-free freezer add moisture?? Their function is to remove moisture from the air inside the freezer. Sounds like an old trick that never changed with the upgrades in technology.

My thought exactly. If you put it in without a plastic container it will just suck OUT all the moisture.

Like cats suck out babies' breath ...but maybe if you suck out the moisture it will shrink a little and work better. Another old wives tale?

LOL Seriously I'm glad it works, damp or dry. I live in a humid summer climate and hopelessly dry in winter - can't get anything to stay ironed in one season and everything dry and static-y in the other.

Maybe you can revive it like a cookie - stick an apple slice in the container?

BMP 04-05-2012 12:42 PM

I have heard of it but that would really confirm to my husband I had lost it. He would never let me live it down if he saw I was stoing thread in the freezer ...

BeckyB 04-05-2012 06:55 PM

Well Ladies......I am sewing great with the thread that I put in the freezer! I can not explain it but it seems to be working!
Thank you for all your input...it was much appreciated
Becky

BeckyB 04-05-2012 06:57 PM

Oh and p.s. it was older 100 percent cotton mercerized

Peckish 04-05-2012 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by BeckyB (Post 5120049)
Well Ladies......I am sewing great with the thread that I put in the freezer! I can not explain it but it seems to be working!
Thank you for all your input...it was much appreciated
Becky

Glad to hear it! So, is your freezer a frost-free model?

BeckyB 04-06-2012 04:26 AM

frost free...but after the comments about moisture I put a tiny bit of water on the cardboard spool.

Anna from Oz 04-06-2012 05:06 AM

Thread in the refrigerator

A quilt teacher once told me to store cotton threads I'd had for some years into the refrigerator for a few days. Something about the thread being "dry" and the moisture in the refrigerator puts the moisture back again. I have had reels of threads for many many years and I do put the container of threads in the refrigerator from time to time. I've never had a problem with them, I also throw the polyester threads in the refrigerator too for a little holiday.
By the way, I put silk garments in the freezer to freeze before I iron them, and years ago when I used to damp down the washing prior to ironing, if I couldn't get the ironing done that day I would store the whole damped down lot in the chest freezer. It didn't dry out and I didn't have to re-damp it all down again.
Does anyone still damp down their ironing?

Regards,
Anna from Oz

yweiss 04-06-2012 05:24 AM

I recently attended a Sharon Schamber workshop and she recommends dunking the whole spool of thread in mineral oil from the drugstore. You then wipe of the outside. It actually oils your machine and the thread also becomes lubricated. I've actually tried it and it really works. She says she never has trouble with her machines any more.

gollytwo 04-06-2012 05:34 AM

I've been hearing about this for years and many of my friends have done it successfully.

Once I discovered Mettler embroidery cotton 60wt for handpiecing, Aurifil cotton 50wt for machine piecing, and Bottom Line poly 60wt for the bobbin I donated most my other threads. I keep finding more which I'll get rid of some day.