Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does this sound crazy? Shoulder quilt related (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-sound-crazy-shoulder-quilt-related-t122172.html)

GwynR 05-10-2011 01:27 PM

That's an awesome idea! You could probably use a poncho pattern too for a quilted poncho!

Celeste 05-10-2011 01:31 PM

I think that's a great idea!

Ramona Byrd 05-10-2011 01:34 PM

Sure sounds neat, but I think that Mexicans have used Ponchos years and years and years and liked them. I find them warm and cosy, have one that my DH got me 40 or so years ago. Most of them are rectangles, with the long ends either straight up and down or sideways, with a hole for the head. Used for fiesta, fancy parties or just plain warmth. The one I have is marvelous for cold restaurants, which seem to think we want to dine in a refrigerator!
Only thing was, it had just the hole in the middle, but it kept messing up my hair so I cut it down the front and put a matching poly lining in it with inside pockets, and buttons with crocheted catches. Comfy and easy to wear.

jeaninmaine 05-10-2011 01:34 PM

Neat idea. You could use velcro or some decorative closures.

KwiltyKahy 05-10-2011 01:37 PM

Great idea.

Originally Posted by Elisabethann
My sister saw the quilt top that I did for my DD. Now she wants one, but she said she just needs to be able to cover her shoulders, she doesn't need a big quilt. So, i told her I'd email some pattern ideas to her.

Then this mornng I was in the basement rearranging holiday stuff and thought I really need to either get a new Christmas tree skirt or make one I really like. Then I was thinking.... that the christmas tree skirt would be the perfect thing to cover cold shoulders - just have to make the opening for the head (which would be the base of the Christmas tree) big enough. Kind of like a pancho.

What do you think? Anyone ever try this type of thing? Do ya'll think I'm crazy??? Cuz that would be OK if you did!! I'm tempted to go downstairs and get the Christmas tree skirt out and have my DD try it on for size!

Part of me is laughing... and the other part of me is saying... well.... it might just work... just have to figure out a pattern.

Ramona Byrd 05-10-2011 01:38 PM

[quote=babyboomerquilter]Sounds like a plan and very creative!
-----------------
I agree, and suddenly can see it made in a gigantic Dresden Plate design. Maybe in black, greys and creams to be worn over a dressy outfit, or bright colors for everyday but to match most of your clothes. Perhaps even made from denim, cut from old jeans to match the ones you wear every day. Lined with some fancy patterned poly like some of the most expensive men's suits.

Ramona Byrd 05-10-2011 01:40 PM

Darnit, the first one didn't seem to be able to post, so
punched the button again....

mhuskins1 05-10-2011 01:43 PM

You never know until you try !!!!
You have to patten that idea !!!!
I do have a poncho made from a wool blanet the neck has some hand work on it !!! I love it !!!!
Wear it all the time in the winter and always get complements on it !!!

Maggiemay 05-10-2011 03:45 PM

If she just wants something for her shoulders that sounds perfect! We have a picture of my daughter almost every year wearing out tree skirt as a skirt around her waist. I made a new quilted one, but I am saving that one for her someday!

QuiltE 05-10-2011 04:48 PM

Makes totaly sense, if all she's wanting is something like a shawl. You could leave some long strips so she could tie a bow at her neck line and be able to move around, knowing it would stay put!