Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does this sound crazy? Shoulder quilt related (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-sound-crazy-shoulder-quilt-related-t122172.html)

Elisabethann 05-10-2011 01:09 PM

My sister saw the quilt top that I did for my DD. Now she wants one, but she said she just needs to be able to cover her shoulders, she doesn't need a big quilt. So, i told her I'd email some pattern ideas to her.

Then this mornng I was in the basement rearranging holiday stuff and thought I really need to either get a new Christmas tree skirt or make one I really like. Then I was thinking.... that the christmas tree skirt would be the perfect thing to cover cold shoulders - just have to make the opening for the head (which would be the base of the Christmas tree) big enough. Kind of like a pancho.

What do you think? Anyone ever try this type of thing? Do ya'll think I'm crazy??? Cuz that would be OK if you did!! I'm tempted to go downstairs and get the Christmas tree skirt out and have my DD try it on for size!

Part of me is laughing... and the other part of me is saying... well.... it might just work... just have to figure out a pattern.

sueisallaboutquilts 05-10-2011 01:10 PM

I think it's a great idea!! As far as being crazy I don't know you that well to determine LOL :D:D (kidding of course)

suzee 05-10-2011 01:12 PM

I don't think you're crazy, I think you're brilliant! You may need to adjust the pattern for the neck opening, but I think it will work perfectly.

fabric lover 05-10-2011 01:12 PM

Sounds to me you're not crazy, but clever!
IMHO it should work well , with a bit more space for the neck than there is for the tree LOL.

debcavan 05-10-2011 01:16 PM

Do go down and get it up and try it on.

I made shawls for the nursing home that were cut from fleece 26" wide. Then I turned under and inch top and bottom. I fringed the edges I have also seen patchwork shawl 72" by 24". They had pockets put the last 6 inches of the ends of the shawl.

Nancy's notions catalog has a wonderful Patchwork shawl more of a U shape.

But first try on that Christmas Tree skirt, It may be wonderful and work so perfectly and be your very own design

debcavan 05-10-2011 01:16 PM

Do go down and get it up and try it on.

I made shawls for the nursing home that were cut from fleece 26" wide. Then I turned under and inch top and bottom. I fringed the edges I have also seen patchwork shawl 72" by 24". They had pockets put the last 6 inches of the ends of the shawl.

Nancy's notions catalog has a wonderful Patchwork shawl more of a U shape. it would be a Christmas tree skirt with just a little shaping and the neckline is more of a U rather than a circle.

But first try on that Christmas Tree skirt, It may be wonderful and work so perfectly and be your very own design

babyboomerquilter 05-10-2011 01:17 PM

Sounds like a plan and very creative!

wolfkitty 05-10-2011 01:18 PM

Necessity is the mother of invention. You may have just come up with something! Go for it. Make the neck opening bigger and put a 'seam' on the shoulders to lower (angle) it down around the body a little bit.

LoriEl 05-10-2011 01:21 PM

I've often thought of doing something like that. I would make something like a table runner only wider. The skirt idea is a good one, though.

gunny148 05-10-2011 01:25 PM

Years ago my mom was making vests then made shaws and this was a quilted.