Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does thread really matter? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-thread-really-matter-t306327.html)

IrishNY 08-16-2019 03:26 PM

I'm not sponsored but I love Aurifil! I use it for piecing but it's thin so I get a lot more on a bobbin than other threads which means I can sew longer. And it does leave less lint so I don't have to clean out my machine as often. I am all about saving time on mundane tasks when ever I can.

RuthiesRetreat3 08-17-2019 11:50 AM

I also wish I had more money so I could at least investigate the higher priced materials. I hear so much about great machines too, but I will never be able to afford them and my Sears machine from the 80s still works like a charm and has never been professionally serviced. I'm convinced you don't need big-name stuff to do a perfect job that will last for years. My great grandmothers quilt was made in the 30's without any 'high faluting' products and it's still fine.

carolynjo 08-17-2019 01:10 PM

I am with you!! At least 40 years for me also.

Grace creates 08-17-2019 01:28 PM

My Mom made all kinds of things including drapes, slipcover's etc and would not consider buying expensive thread. She didn't think it was all that important. She never had a problem with threads breaking either. My older Bernina machine is more fussy then my Mom was, so I have to buy better thread. Ugg

SusieQOH 08-18-2019 05:07 AM

My machine quilting isn't the best yet so other members of the board told me about a higher wt. thread like 100 wt. Invisifil. I'm about to try it. The stitching doesn't show as much I was told.
I like Aurifil, Bluprints brand, and Connecting Threads for most things.

katiebear1 08-21-2019 01:37 PM

I was surprised to see that no one mentioned the the thread sold on Connecting Threads . That is all I use for piecing And quilting. Their cotton spools are $3.49 for 1,200 yds and their cotton cones are $11.99 for 5,000 yds. And yes that is the correct yardage not a typo. They have every color you can imagine and I think it is really good quality. It used to be $2.89 a spool and cones were $9.99. They just recently raised their prices.

katiebear1 08-21-2019 01:42 PM

Sorry just saw that SusieQ did mention Connecting Threads.

The Quilted Cottage 08-21-2019 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by IrishNY (Post 8290277)
I'm not sponsored but I love Aurifil! I use it for piecing but it's thin so I get a lot more on a bobbin than other threads which means I can sew longer. And it does leave less lint so I don't have to clean out my machine as often. I am all about saving time on mundane tasks when ever I can.

I love Aurifil too! I mostly use it for piecing but have used it for machine quilting with no problems. I like to keep my machines clean and less lint is always a plus. I like SoFine too. And love Superior monofilament for FMQ. I use it in the top and the bobbin with no problems.

Btw, I don't pay $12-14 a spool for the Aurifil. I get it online for around $6-7. I think it was Craftsy last December. Then my son bought me a bunch, too. Such a sweetie. :thumbup: