Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does your husband understand? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-your-husband-understand-t101217.html)

dilyn 02-19-2011 04:53 PM

My husband comes up with people he wants me to make quilts for. Sometimes I oblige, but I put a limit on it because I am always planning several quilts in advance and his requests have to just get in line! But seriously, he has never objected to any of my hobbies. I am quite blessed.

SueDor 02-19-2011 04:58 PM

My husband doesn't understand but he doesn't complain either.

Scrap Happy 02-19-2011 05:06 PM

Yes my husband understands. I guess after living with me all these years he had too :mrgreen: In the beginning he didn't like or dislike quilts there were just there to him. He has asked me to make a quilt for him (our bed) because I make them and give them away.

Now when I'm working on a quilt he'll pop in the sewing room to say hi and check it out. He oooos and aaaaas appropriately too :) He has come to appreciate quilts, their beauty and the time involved in them. Maybe if you make one for your husband he'll have a better understanding and appreciation.

cjomomma 02-19-2011 05:09 PM

Mine understands that it is good therapy for me. He never says anything about the time I spend quilting. A happy wife is better then no wife.

Ginger 02-19-2011 05:09 PM

I guess I am blessed. My Hubby likes what I make, he wants to keep everything I make. LOL He does not share well. He built me a fantastic room for all my hobbies. I have a 99x 50 square foot cutting table and a whole wall of white felt to hang blocks. Tons of shelving for fabrics.. So yes he understands very well!!!

oldhag 02-19-2011 05:33 PM

Just returned from a day trip to watch my Dgd play some hockey and followed it up with a nice meal and shopping at a LQS and a tool shop. My Dh waited patiently while I shopped and I waited patiently while he shopped. While we don't share our hobbies, we take an interest in what each other does. I make sure I stop in the garage and bring a cup of coffee and chat about what he is working on or lend a hand for a bit when I'm home and he will offer ideas and opinions when asked. I would say it is a mutual respect for each other's interests.

emerald46 02-19-2011 05:48 PM

Mine may not understand cutting up perfectly good looking fabric and sewing it back together... but, he is wonderfully supportive of everything I do.

Bottle Blonde 02-19-2011 05:58 PM

My hubby gets it ---- he has his interests and I have (several) mine. He is tolerant of what I do and the money I spend and I am tolerant of his hobbies and the cost. We always support each other --- even if I don't really care about the good golf game he played. LOL ---- he doesn't get very excited over my new scissors, either. It is all about R E S P E C T

costumegirl 02-19-2011 06:08 PM

LOL!! My DH doesn't have a clue about the process and really can not relate to my passion!! He just comments that I 'can make nice things' and that's about it. If he knew how expensive fabric is and how much I have in my stash and how many UFOs I have, he would have a fit! Oh well, what he doesn't know won't hurt him and as long as 'Momma is happy the family is happy'!! :)

RatherB Quilting 02-19-2011 06:30 PM

My Hubster understands that quilting is my mental health. At first he would get a bit frustrated that I gave all my quilts away, and he still feels I should buy fabric for two so I can give one and sell one. But, he has become well versed in quilt lingo and quite often will point out things in other peoples quilts that I wouldn't have even noticed. He is my biggest fan! He is totally supportive within reason of expenses too. I too am blessed.
Here is hoping that after awhile your Hubster will see how important it is to you and, not neccessarily understand, but accept your addiction...I mean, hobby!
:)