Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does your husband understand? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-your-husband-understand-t101217.html)

fabric_fancy 02-19-2011 06:33 PM

my DH is totally supportive - he never gets upset with the purchases for my passion.

Kim Bohannon 02-19-2011 07:20 PM

I am also very blessed. My husband didn't understand my desire to quilt when I first got started, but he was used to me sewing all the time... I did make all my brides maids dresses. I don't know when he transitioned, but it wasn't long before he was proudly showing off my quilts to his friends!:thumbup:

Give him time,maybee he'll warm to your hobby.

fatquarters 02-19-2011 07:22 PM

Mine does not get it at all! He doesn't really see them as anything but blankets, thinks they are all the same, But he takes me to shops and hands me money, buys me whatever I want, and lets me hide out in my room with not complaints, so it's not all bad. I don't get hunting either!

Stitchnripper 02-19-2011 07:25 PM

Mine is fine with all of it. He isn't interested in quilting but he is good at picking out colors.

indycatcarol 02-19-2011 07:31 PM

In 2004 when I was still working, I came home from work one day and found a Juki/QuiltEasy set up in the livingroom. He ordered it without telling, or asking me. He figured out how to stitch regulate it. A few months later it was his idea to look at and purchase my Gammill Opt+. Then it was his idea 4 yrs. later to upgrade my Gammill with IntelliQuilter. He will also digitize some patterns for me. When we go on cruises, because of his heart condition we can't do a lot of excursions. So it is his idea that we visit fabric stores.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-19-2011 07:34 PM

My husband thinks the process of making a quilt is cool. He is an engineer. Anything with rulers and math is cool. He doesn't ask about money or anything like that, but he also doesn't want to talk quilts or shop for quilt things. I guess he doesn't understand quilts, but I don't understand football. It doesn't matter. If I need mechanical help, he'll do it. If he needs nachoes and beer, I'll do it. It works.

luvTooQuilt 02-19-2011 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ginger
I guess I am blessed. My Hubby likes what I make, he wants to keep everything I make. LOL He does not share well. He built me a fantastic room for all my hobbies. I have a 99x 50 square foot cutting table and a whole wall of white felt to hang blocks. Tons of shelving for fabrics.. So yes he understands very well!!!

Ha.. Sounds like me!!! Anything that I make with Feedsacks or 1930s he claims it.. He even got me a monthly 1930s subscription from Fons & porter.. Gotta love 'em!!

grammyp 02-19-2011 07:45 PM

I have a SUPER hubby. I have been making comfort quilts for people at work. Sometimes I get fabrics donated, sometimes I purchase everything, but DH never complained. One day he saw me trying to quilt a large one on my domestic machine and how difficult it was. So he got me a mid-arm and frame for Christmas. His only request was I make a quilt to stay in our house (working on it). He will sit and watch me quilt, says I look peaceful and happy when I'm quilting. Last year he got me a featherweight to take to retreats so I (he) didn't have to lug my heavy one. I have taken over his (former) office for my sewing space and while I was cleaning last week he suggested we re-arrange and move the quilt frame to a better location.

Isn't he the greatest!

cmw0829 02-19-2011 08:05 PM

Oh yeah. Mine is unquestioning of most anything I want to do. Today he insisted that we take a trip to my sewing machine dealer to look at new machines. Then spent time at the fabric clearance pointing out everything he liked.

Yes, I'm lucky.

anniec55 02-19-2011 08:15 PM

I can relate, unfortunately!!! and I was quilting long before I met him.... He doesn't get it, not even slightly, remotely nor do I think he wants to..... I am very envious of all the lucky folks here who's significant other is supportive and encouraging. And though I am envious, I am also happy for them and real glad they have that, I am sure I have been blessed in many other ways!!!