Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does your ruler still have a perfectly straight edge? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-your-ruler-still-have-perfectly-straight-edge-t307781.html)

Jordan 11-02-2019 07:45 AM

I think it is significant enough to replace. I had a 6" square ruler that was worn down on one corner because of my rotary cutter getting too close and shaving off just a sliver every time I used it. This will not give you a straight cut.

Quilter 53 11-02-2019 07:53 AM

My very first quilting supplies purchase was a package that came with a small cutting mat, rotary cutter and 6 x 18 inch ruler. Along with a quilting 101 type book. Nothing ever came out accurate, everything was too short, but I kept fussing along. One day I used my husbands carpenter's ruler, the metal roll up kind, and measured that ruler. Come to find out, the 1/4 inch mark was not a full 1/4 inch. It's a wonder I hadn't given up on quilting before I found that out. Needless to say, I bought a better ruler!

Iceblossom 11-02-2019 09:20 AM

Periodically I put my rulers on edge to see if are warped or curved and I store them nicely and flat. I drop stuff a lot, partly because of my lack of depth perception I think. But my iron gets dropped, my coffee cups get dropped and my rulers get dropped and shatter often enough to be replaced.

We each have a slightly different hand to our cutting whether we are completely perpendicular to the ruler or slope in or out. I prefer to use all of one brand of rulers on each project if I can, I think some are better used on the line and some are next to the line.

Snitchesgetstitches 11-02-2019 12:15 PM

Out of caution I replace my ruler every 6 months. A 1mm difference can really set off my block.

Jingle 11-02-2019 01:07 PM

Mine may be but not where it makes a difference. I just keep using them.

Onebyone 11-02-2019 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 8321780)
Another one of those "duh" insights for me.

I need to think of replacing the no longer straight rulers in the same category as replacing a dull rotary blade. When something is used a lot, it tends to become worn out and no longer does the job it is supposed to.

PS - Please do not donate those rulers - where some newbie will think she/he is getting a bargain - and is just buying frustration and inaccuracy!.

I agree! I don't donate my used rotary blades so why would I donate used ruined rulers?

Mousie 11-02-2019 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 8321736)
I've replaced a number of worn rulers over the years. You can't do precision cutting with a curved straight line ;) and those straight edges get shaved over and over.
Bear, we could barter for you know what, I'd be happy to replace your beloved. ruler...

ohhh, this sounds interesting.
So what is you-know-what? :D

Mkotch 11-03-2019 04:01 AM

This discussion leads me to wonder... are our old rulers recyclable?

grann of 6 11-03-2019 04:06 AM

I'd better check my rulers today. I do have a new favorite, though, Creative Grids 2 1/2X 24". My others are omnigrids and they are going to get checked today, one is 3"X18" and one 3 1/2X24. I think they have probably earned their way to the trash bin.

hobbykat1955 11-03-2019 04:16 AM

Never thought of this and I have been using the same rulers for o/12 yrs...Guess it's not making any diff so no replacements here..