Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Dollar General Singer School Machines - $129 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dollar-general-singer-school-machines-%24129-t116522.html)

ewecansew 04-16-2011 07:36 AM

Schools ,generally ,do not order machines in this manner. It is more of an advertising gimmick. Schools have to have the money to buy and will go directly to the dealer and buy the machines that they want and unless it is a new school with a home economics department ,the school will only buy one or two machines at a time. Schools just do not have the dollars to spend anymore. In fact, they have cut the home economics departments.

Prism99 04-16-2011 09:09 AM

No! Those "excess school inventory" sales typically have really bad quality machines. Sounds like someone went out of business and sold them to Dollar General.

emmah 04-16-2011 11:02 AM

Someone gave me one of those, and it had plastic gears. Lasted less than one year of sewing. Go for a vintage machine, save money and be able to sew anything heavy. Doesn't have to be an old Singer. My son sews his scuba dive gear (heavy webbing) on an old White sewing machine.

the casual quilter 04-16-2011 04:51 PM

I got one of these a few years ago (actually, my husband bought it as a gift) and it was the worst machine I have ever owned. I used t a couple of weeks an then gave it to the Goodwill.

okiepastor 04-16-2011 04:54 PM

all I have ever heard is that they are JUNK!!!
Have had several brought to me to see if I could fix them, but full of chewed up plastic gears--stay away!

CarolLady 03-17-2012 06:26 PM

I am glad you asked this question as we have a local Dollar General having a sale on these machines on Sunday. So glad I thought to look here and see if someone had asked about them. Saves me a trip! Thanks for all the answers! I was afraid it was to good to be true.

Grandma58 03-17-2012 06:49 PM

I had a heavy duty singer for years and I loved it, I got it in 1977, I paid 700.00 for it then, it was a top of the line machine. FYI.

BellaBoo 03-17-2012 10:05 PM

They are not the Singer brand machines. You can Google these sales and read hundreds of bad reviews about these machines.

leevenora 03-17-2012 10:47 PM

Glad to know all this information.

Judi in Ohio 03-18-2012 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by malindaann (Post 3041543)
hi,
are the sales listed for new, excess school inventory of heavy duty Singers worth looking at? My local Dollar General is having a sale today. They advertise them as solid, built for heavy use machines. They also have a "teacher's" model for $199.
They are advertised as "sew and serge" with a "professional" serge stitch and it it "quilts" too.
I am looking for a second machine to do some heavier duty canvas and sunbrella stitching for some projects for my fiance.
Does anyone have experience or know what these machines are all about, especially the difference between a student and teacher model?

My advise - go on craigslist/newspaper/Goodwill and find a Singer golden oldie. Or a Pfaff 130, or Necchi Bu, or many oldies that were built long ago. A little cleaning, a little oil and these things are amazing. They will sew through heavy duty stuff. They were made so much better years ago.