Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Dollar General Singer School Machines - $129 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dollar-general-singer-school-machines-%24129-t116522.html)

CRELLA 03-18-2012 07:05 AM

My sister n law bought teaching one from jo anns about 4 yrs ago an she dumped it in the trash

CookyIN 04-14-2014 04:26 PM

My local paper ran this same ad, and I was intrigued. Thanks so much for setting me straight!

DOTTYMO 04-14-2014 10:05 PM

I would suspect that school machines have had a very hard life with students trying and learning on them. My sewing classes were great we had modern machines and one treadle. Having been taught on a treadle I loved it. No one else could manage to make it go straight and forward so I finished all my projects early.

athomenow 04-15-2014 04:38 AM

Buy a Viking, they can sew through just about anything and there's very little maintenance. No oil is required, just clean out the lint after every project.

toverly 04-15-2014 05:09 AM

Looks like if it's too good to be true, it's not a good deal.

wolph33 04-15-2014 05:26 AM

I would not even consider one of these-go vintage

judygold47 01-12-2015 08:52 AM

My friend called me today (1/12/15) about a similar promotion. She asked me what I thought. I googled Dollar General singer sewing machines and came right to this board. I was able to tell her to save her money. Thanks for all the responses.

GrannieAnnie 01-12-2015 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by malindaann (Post 3041543)
hi,
are the sales listed for new, excess school inventory of heavy duty Singers worth looking at? My local Dollar General is having a sale today. They advertise them as solid, built for heavy use machines. They also have a "teacher's" model for $199.
They are advertised as "sew and serge" with a "professional" serge stitch and it it "quilts" too.
I am looking for a second machine to do some heavier duty canvas and sunbrella stitching for some projects for my fiance.
Does anyone have experience or know what these machines are all about, especially the difference between a student and teacher model?

I bought a $179 Singer at Wally World a few years back. The inner workings blew out in a couple months. I'd not buy one without some sort of warranty.

GrannieAnnie 01-12-2015 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Judi in Ohio (Post 5070050)
My advise - go on craigslist/newspaper/Goodwill and find a Singer golden oldie. Or a Pfaff 130, or Necchi Bu, or many oldies that were built long ago. A little cleaning, a little oil and these things are amazing. They will sew through heavy duty stuff. They were made so much better years ago.

Agreed---------you can almost always find an older Singer or Brother for 25-40 dollars. A few dollars more, sometimes gets you a cabinet, too. My $25 Brother is still going strong--------after a couple years.

juneayerza 01-13-2015 12:45 AM

I wouldn't exactly call this a scam, but IMHO it comes pretty darn close. Not worth the effort and they will try to sell you higher cost machines. This has been around for at least 40 plus years; I first saw these ads in my early 20's and even went to a couple of these "sales". Machines are not what they want you to think they are.