Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   To Donate or not to Donate (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/donate-not-donate-t43264.html)

JJs 04-20-2010 05:49 AM

let's not even TALK about raffles (and bingo) here! LOL

yea, they call it a drawing when it's nothing less than a raffle - you sell tickets, you draw one ticket, that ticket wins - that's a raffle LOL

just don't let Bingo Bob hear about it...

Holice 04-20-2010 06:16 AM

Don't donate unless you are willing to see your work sell for pennies. Give to a cause that can make some money from it or as you have said give money directly to the organization.
I do this but make sure the project is easy. I jazz it up with interesting fabric and I don't even go to the event where it is sold so i don't know what it sold for.

dsb38327 04-20-2010 07:12 AM

Unfortunately, silent auctions seem to be the pick for some who want to 'get something for nothing'.

Jeannie 04-20-2010 10:54 AM

I would be pretty honest next time if the quilts do not sell for a good price. Maybe offer a baby quilt vs one we all spend time and a lot of money on.

craftybear 04-20-2010 10:55 AM

wow, just donate $30.00 and wait on the quilt,

your quilt is worth more than the $30.00

mountain deb 04-21-2010 04:14 AM

I think if I was to donate to an auction, I would put in a materials list. A list of the materials and cost of each item I used in the quilt. People who are not in the know do not know how to price. I would have no clue how to charge for homemade furniture. Some people seem to have enough knowledge based on something that happened eons ago, but not updated since.

dotcomdtcm 04-21-2010 04:53 AM

I donate small quilts to Quilts for Kids. The photos on their website
shows that they are well loved by children in hospitals. It's been a great way to practice my skills and reduce my fabric stash. Perhaps you could insist on a minimum bid if you get involved in one of these events in the future.

katei 04-21-2010 05:06 AM

Yes I know what you mean - it's just so heartbreaking when that happens. Every Christmas I make a quilt for a local charity to ballot. I make it early enough that it can be around for a while before the draw. I must say I was delighted that last year's raised just over £350 - (about $500). Definitely the ballots bring in more than an auction. Other than that, I agree with the others who say just donate the $30 and give the quilt to a worthy cause.

quiltmom04 04-21-2010 05:34 AM

Yes, that happened to me too. I donated a wallhanging to the elementary school for a silent auction. It was a flower basket in shades of pink and blue. It went for $25! One bid. The woman who purchased it called me to apologize for how little it brought because she knew it was worth so more. I don't do that anymore - I'd rather have donated the $25 and have my quilt! I made a very intricate pink ribbon bargello for class and everyone keeps telling me to donate it! HA! I'd be happy to have people use it as a display for pink ribbon events, but I'm not giving it up this time!

bstanbro 04-21-2010 08:00 AM

I wouldn't.