Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   To Donate or not to Donate (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/donate-not-donate-t43264.html)

mary quite contrary 04-19-2010 05:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Today was an auction for the local care center. I donated 2 quilts. I walked in and the quilts were both folded and laying on the table with some plants and other things included in a silent auction. Select items were chosen for a regular auction. The bidding was to start at $30 on each of the quilts. One was scrappy so it was fine folded but the other had hand embroidery and hand quilting in the center which was folded in so it couldn't be seen.

I'm struggling with my ego and the practicality of putting the work and money into a quilt that they are willing to let go for $30. I'd be ahead to just give them the money.

So, next year, donate or not to donate?

watterstide 04-19-2010 05:20 PM

nope, its not worht it, in my experience..just donate the 30 bucks and then donate the quilt to someone who needs it.

quitnbabe 04-19-2010 05:22 PM

I had the same thing happen to me not only with quilts but with other items as well. My feeling is to now donate the money for what it would have cost me to make the item. My time is money and if they do not get what it cost in materials why should I donate my time to make it.

thequilterslink 04-19-2010 05:23 PM

it is hard to donate quilts to someone who does not understand the work and money that go into making them.. I make a baby quilt basket up for my neice each year for her school and it always goes for a lot less than i have invested in it, but the school needs the money and who ever gets it , gets a great bargain, so i will continue to do so.
Maybe you could mention to someone the real Value of these quilts, they may not be aware and would be happy to up the bidding price. Maybe give a suggested price.

sewgull 04-19-2010 05:28 PM

Maybe you could mention to someone the real Value of these quilts, they may not be aware and would be happy to up the bidding price. Maybe give a suggested price.[/quote]

Giving a suggested price is a good idea. It hurts our feeling when our work is taked for granted.

Lady Tapioca 04-19-2010 05:33 PM

When I make a quilt for donation I have learned to use a simple pattern in great colors. Usually it is made for Relay for Life. The team I donate it to sells raffle tickets and starts about 4 months ahead of time.
They never earn what they're worth but a few hundred dollars is more than I can donate.

I'm sure your quilts were worth more than they were sold for. Quilts don't seem to auction too well, do they :(
I'm sorry your feelings were hurt

thequilteddove 04-19-2010 05:33 PM

One quilt I donated to be auctioned off, they got a lousy $60 for it! I even told them they needed to have a starting bid of $350 but they didn't do it... Another one I donated for to be raffled they made less than $300 because they didn't alot enough time nor did they 'work it'. Both quilts were really nice bed quilts that I could have easily sold for $500!

I rather give my quilts to charities like breast cancer, QOV, Project Linus! At least that way someone special gets to be wrapped up in the love I put in to the quilt - a person who will get way more out of the quilt than money could ever provide.

jmho

trupeach1 04-19-2010 05:38 PM

Donate the money next time. Years ago I would bake cakes for the school cake sale. I was a pastry chef and worked from home. I used the best of ingredients. One year they asked if I could donate several cakes as there were teachers who were going to buy them at the cake sale. I made them and after the fact they had charged only $3 per cake OMG it cost me more then $3 just for the butter that went into making the cake and frosting. I stopped baking for the school cake sale. But stupid me didn't learn my lesson the church was having a bake sale after Mass. I baked 3 sheet cakes of coffee cake they were selling them by the slice. One woman ate the piece she bought then went back to buy an entire coffee cake. I almost dropped dead they were selling the cake for 15 cents per slice. This happened about 10 years ago and at that time a donut in the local bakery cost 95 cents. I have donated afghans to the local church since moving to Ohio for their silent auction but I do not know how much money they received. I decided no more donation when I have no control of how much something will be sold for and the people who are selling the items haven't a clue as to how much something is worth. I think they think if it is homemade it is cheap. I have baked and given cakes to the homeless and womans shelters. I have made quilts for project linus and again the homeless and womans shelter. I will donate to them but i will NEVER again donate for an auction or cake sale.

Pamela Artman 04-19-2010 05:56 PM

My only experience with donating for a quilt auction was for the Christian school that my daughter attended. I made a throw size quilt and hand quilted it and it went for $250. I was pleased with that. There was a scrappy "Apple Core" bed size quilt that was hand pieced and hand quilted that I loved and it went for $600. However, there was another quilt that was a very simple pattern, machine quilted, but with beautiful fabrics and it went for $1400!! It just showed that people don't appreciate hand quilting and I was going to do one last year that was big, pretty fabrics and machine quilted, but before the auction came around, the school closed. But all the quilts went for very good prices. I would be sick to put all that work in a quilt and see it sell for $30.

watterstide 04-19-2010 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by sewgull
Maybe you could mention to someone the real Value of these quilts, they may not be aware and would be happy to up the bidding price. Maybe give a suggested price.

Giving a suggested price is a good idea. It hurts our feeling when our work is taked for granted.[/quote]

i watch a quilt get no bids, because they upped the starting bid price..and it was not a high price either. the woman who made the quilt was embarrased and hurt.
i still stand on the "donate money" give the quilt to someone who will love it or needs a lift..