Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Don't FMQ with a full bobbin? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dont-fmq-full-bobbin-t104848.html)

k3n 03-04-2011 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
well others already said it but i figured she meant over full, most of the auto winders I've seen don't put as much as they could and I don't like that either
I don't want to be accused of "not having a full bobbin!"

I think most of us on here are 'not the full bobbin' but I'm happy to be in such good company! :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

Wholeheart Mom 03-04-2011 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by quossj
I've heard of this when filling the bobbin with monofil. I've tried a full bobbin and one 3/4 and the 3/4 full one works better on my Bernina.

This may be the reason.... I recall that she was speaking about monofil thread at the time. I will listen to that part again and see if I can clarify this issue.

bakermom 03-04-2011 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
Maybe it has something to do with her machine - I like to have as much thread on the bobbin as I can get and have never had any tension issues - just operator problems!

That's what i was thinking, too. maybe her bobbins don't wind evenly and this compensates for it. I've found most problems come down to operator error, not"my machine doesn't like" issues.

nativetexan 03-04-2011 09:42 AM

Oh Susie- I have one too. a MC4800 that is. love it. although it's doing a whoosing sound now. just had it serviced. it skips on zig zag if too thick an area too. but i've had it for a few years now and love it.

laurlync 03-04-2011 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jenniky
Interesting... Im still learning on the FMQ my expierience is that the quality of thread and making sure my bobbin thread winds on evenly and smooth are two important factors. Practice Practice Practice..though I think is really the key. I have recently purchased some cotton bandanas to use as practice toppers and am following the designs already in the print.. thinking I will turn them in to some fun throw pillows ...Im always needing a pillow to throw at my husbands corny jokes. :thumbup:

Cool idea!!! Okay, I'll add bandanas to my Hobby Lobby list and watch for a sale! (Hob Lob has lots of different colors and patterns.)

quilttiludrop 03-04-2011 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
i've never heard about this

It's a new one on me!

thepolyparrot 03-04-2011 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Wholeheart Mom
This may be the reason.... I recall that she was speaking about monofil thread at the time. I will listen to that part again and see if I can clarify this issue.

That would make sense - invisible thread has a mind of its own and will want to unwind. If you wind the bobbin full, you could get a bobbin case full of loose loops.

Jenniky 03-04-2011 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by laurlync

Interesting... Im still learning on the FMQ my expierience is that the quality of thread and making sure my bobbin thread winds on evenly and smooth are two important factors. Practice Practice Practice..though I think is really the key. I have recently purchased some cotton bandanas to use as practice toppers and am following the designs already in the print.. thinking I will turn them in to some fun throw pillows ...Im always needing a pillow to throw at my husbands corny jokes. :thumbup:

Cool idea!!! Okay, I'll add bandanas to my Hobby Lobby list and watch for a sale! (Hob Lob has lots of different colors and patterns.)

Walmart has some nice big ones in the ladies handbag section for $1.00 Nice color selection also..at our Walmart.

oksewglad 03-04-2011 04:29 PM

One of the things I have found when FMQ with fabric similar to the bandana fabric is to do just as you do. By sewing around the design rather than through it just gives a more appealing FMQ IMHO. And boy that's a good idea.
Agree with everything else you've said, too.

MadQuilter 03-04-2011 04:37 PM

I fill mine all the way and never had any problems.