Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Don't FMQ with a full bobbin? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dont-fmq-full-bobbin-t104848.html)

Wholeheart Mom 03-04-2011 04:32 AM

I purchased a DVD about FMQ for newbies. In it, the instructor said that you never want to FMQ with a full bobbin; you always want it about 3/4 full. I must have missed her rationale for this statement, although she seemed to elude to the fact that a full bobbin causes tension difficulties.

As a newbie, and someone who desires to learn FMQ, I am curious as to whether others follow this rule or not. Any opinions?

fabric_fancy 03-04-2011 04:34 AM

i've never heard about this

RatherB Quilting 03-04-2011 04:37 AM

I know nothing of this either...however...I realized you may have coined a new "quilter's" phrase. You know how they say, "she's not playing with a full deck." or "She's lost her marbles." Well, "She's not FMQ'ing with a full bobbin." sounds like it would work for us quilters. I know somedays I certainly don't have a full bobbin up there!!!

Wholeheart Mom 03-04-2011 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by RatherB Quilting
however...I realized you may have coined a new "quilter's" phrase. You know how they say, "she's not playing with a full deck." or "She's lost her marbles." Well, "She's not FMQ'ing with a full bobbin." sounds like it would work for us quilters. I know somedays I certainly don't have a full bobbin up there!!!

LOL!! I think most days I am operating with a half full bobbin!

Jenniky 03-04-2011 04:41 AM

Interesting... Im still learning on the FMQ my expierience is that the quality of thread and making sure my bobbin thread winds on evenly and smooth are two important factors. Practice Practice Practice..though I think is really the key. I have recently purchased some cotton bandanas to use as practice toppers and am following the designs already in the print.. thinking I will turn them in to some fun throw pillows ...Im always needing a pillow to throw at my husbands corny jokes. :thumbup:

Jenniky 03-04-2011 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Wholeheart Mom

Originally Posted by RatherB Quilting
however...I realized you may have coined a new "quilter's" phrase. You know how they say, "she's not playing with a full deck." or "She's lost her marbles." Well, "She's not FMQ'ing with a full bobbin." sounds like it would work for us quilters. I know somedays I certainly don't have a full bobbin up there!!!

LOL!! I think most days I am operating with a half full bobbin!

I agree.. lol... love the play on words :thumbup:

k3n 03-04-2011 04:51 AM

Bizarre! I ALWAYS fill my bobbin to the top before FMQing because I hate it to run out half way then I have ends to sew in. I think my FMQ is OK, anyway, I don't have tension issues - only when I'm down to the last few inches in the bobbin. Perhaps this is just a quirk of her machine? But I LOVE the 'new' expression 'she's not FMQing with a full bobbin'! :lol: :lol: :lol:

scowlkat 03-04-2011 04:53 AM

Maybe it has something to do with her machine - I like to have as much thread on the bobbin as I can get and have never had any tension issues - just operator problems!

susie-susie-susie 03-04-2011 05:00 AM

I've never heard that. I don't have any tension problems. I have a Janome 4800 and it's going strong. I try to get it serviced yearly, but in reality it's probably every 2 years or so. She's a wonderful machine and I feel guilty because I haven't named her.
Sue

clem55 03-04-2011 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jenniky
Interesting... Im still learning on the FMQ my expierience is that the quality of thread and making sure my bobbin thread winds on evenly and smooth are two important factors. Practice Practice Practice..though I think is really the key. I have recently purchased some cotton bandanas to use as practice toppers and am following the designs already in the print.. thinking I will turn them in to some fun throw pillows ...Im always needing a pillow to throw at my husbands corny jokes. :thumbup:

this sounds like a good idea!