Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Don't you hate it when ... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dont-you-hate-when-t186133.html)

jitkaau 04-17-2012 03:23 AM

This sounds like an argument for leaving everything out until it is finished...(as I do...)

Edie 04-17-2012 03:53 AM

When I start something, I generally stay with it and I always keep it out so that I know what it is that I am working on and if anyone wants to see what I am doing, it is right there to show (even in its roughest shape). Right now I am in the process of hand tying a little boy's quilt and when I am not tying, it is sitting on my rocker next to the sewing table. Everything I want to do next I keep in my mind (no one can see the clutter there) and when I am done with a project, I write it into my book and go on to the next thing! I sort of anticipate when this quilt will be done and work towards that, which I know is next to impossible, what with yard work, mowing, spring cleaning and stuff, but I know exactly where I am with what I am doing and it works for me. I have most of my fabric in shelves next to me so while I am sewing I am working on the next project. I am picking out the fabric I am going to use, the pattern and everything. Ok, now everybody, back to what you were doing!!!!!!! Edie

QuiltingCrazie 04-17-2012 04:37 AM

The longer I look at quilts waiting to be quilted I notice things like one was too skinny for my taste so I'm putting borders on it. One the inner border is a print and I don't like where they cross so still can't decide if applique or rip.
I'm with you my youngest wanted a pillowcase made as soon as she saw a scrap of hello kitty fabric (only have enough for the accent strip) of course I set it aside so I remembered to make it. I searched and searched for weeks finally found it tucked under quilts waiting to be quilted. My batting order just got here so I am hoping to get all the quilts quilted~

19angel52 04-17-2012 04:39 AM

that makes you a true QUILTER. Yup - I heard that from many quilters......

JusticeClan 04-17-2012 05:01 AM

I can sympathize. I recently painted my craft room, about 2 weeks ago, so had to put a lot of stuff away. I'm still looking for things.

SueSew 04-17-2012 05:22 AM

If I were capable of doing Dear Jane blocks, and they disappeared from my quilting room, I would call in sick to work and begin a methodical search of my entire house until I found them, starting with the garbage and recyclables, and leave no piece of furniture untouched until I found them. Of course, I can't quilt like that, and I tend to lose things which are nearly in plain sight unless they are exactly where they belong...good thing I don't have more than three or four things going. LOL
Sympathy!

joyce888 04-17-2012 05:31 AM

That's what exactly caused mine to be UFOs in the first place! You'd think I would stop a project at a place where it would be easy to start up again! But NO, I stop when I'm stuck or have a lot of cutting or squaring up to be done. When will I learn to stop when I'm ahead?

nanascottie 04-17-2012 05:43 AM

while i was fixing a dress for my niece - her mom (my sister in law ) who just can not help herself refolded my stash - now i don't know which is cotton and which is not. i am still looking for things from the last time i cleaned. i am a totally unorganised sewer.

kateyb 04-17-2012 05:46 AM

I have a shoe box of triangles, in stacks of approximately the same size. I use them for beginners/enders but sometimes, when I just want to sew, I just sew a bunch in a long strip. (Square up when I feel like cutting) When I have four blocks the same they become pinwheels, the others can be used in all kinds of triangle type quilts. Eventually I have enough for a quilt. The pinwheels make great baby quilts. Good to have on hand when you need one quick. It comes close to feeling like a free quilt.
When I have gathered all the fabrics I need for a quilt but need to put it away, I put them in a zip bag with a note of what I planned to do. Add the pattern or give the name of book to find it in and page #.

kat112000 04-17-2012 05:52 AM

Total opposite for me!! I have tons of sewing to do!! I was in a cutting frenzy and have three quilts cut out and ready to sew.