Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Don't You Just Love a New Rotary Blade (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dont-you-just-love-new-rotary-blade-t256835.html)

b.zang 11-15-2014 11:23 AM

Don't You Just Love a New Rotary Blade

Every time I change the blade in my rotary cutter, I think "SNAP!! Why didn't I do this sooner?" It seems I need to be making every cut twice to get those skipped spots for a while before I even think to change the blade. Then, I put off changing for a while because it seems expensive. Then, I finally give in, change the blade and I suddenly want to cut strips. Blades don't seem to last very long, but I haven't actually collected real data, only making that statement based on my feelings. If anyone has tips on keeping blades sharp, please share them!

ManiacQuilter2 11-15-2014 11:31 AM

Just watch out because since it so smooth with cutting, it is easier to cut yourself. Be careful.

PaperPrincess 11-15-2014 11:35 AM

I know what you mean. I've been doing semiprofessional papercrafting for over 25 years. You use scalpels a lot (think exacto blade holder). In one of my first paper classes the instructor said to go out and buy 100 blades and use them! I've always remembered this and when I started quilting, I started buying my rotary blades in bulk and change them often. It makes cutting fabric so much more pleasurable, accurate and I believe a sharp blade is safer because you aren't fighting with your cutter.

Tartan 11-15-2014 12:00 PM

New blades always make me a little nervous but I do change my blades when they start to skip threads.

cathyvv 11-15-2014 01:22 PM

Sometimes I think that it is easier to cut myself with a dull blade. After all I wind up cutting a lot of fabric twice! And when I cut myself the blade sure doesn't seem dull!

Jan in VA 11-15-2014 01:23 PM

Perhaps your blades are dulling faster because of the mat you are using. I've particularly noticed this with the gray Fiskars mats and other like them. For over 30+ years I have used on Olfa mats, the original quilt cutting mat which came to use from the engineering field. They are truly self healing where many others are not.

Also it's possible you use off brand blades; again where Olfas are best (and others like them).

I mark my blades along the very edge with the date I install them; helps to keep the time to change in mind each time I open the blade.

Jan in VA

Onebyone 11-15-2014 01:56 PM

I change them whenever the first thread is skipped. I don't save the old ones either.

Kitsie 11-15-2014 02:53 PM

I found by loosening the screw that holds the blade in, they rotate better so you are not just using one part of the blade over and over.

MaryMo 11-15-2014 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6969828)
New blades always make me a little nervous but I do change my blades when they start to skip threads.

I am more nervous with dull blades!!

Boston1954 11-15-2014 03:55 PM

I have done EXACTLY the same thing, many times. Especially the waiting to change because it's expensive. My sister had given me several blades, but I have gone through them all.