Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   dont you wish.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dont-you-wish-t146996.html)

quiltsRfun 08-22-2011 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by wichypoo
I watched Eleanor Burns just yesterday and she made me feel soooo deficient,, because everything she did was so calm and casual and effortless and was perfect in the end. I told my husband as I watched, she is a genius to get everything so
perfect the first time. I forgot they edit and re-film.....duh

Yeah, all those perfectly matched seams and points without even pinning. It looked so easy but when I tried it mine were not perfect. So now I take the time to pin. Easier than ripping. :)

mim 08-22-2011 08:55 AM

when I taught beginers sampler quilts, I always made 2 of each block-- one perfect and one with the most common mistakes. Then I could show how to avoid the mistake next time and how to fix what was already done.

I loved teaching those classes and seeing the great work that came out of them.

Mim

Originally Posted by hlponyfarm
Quilting shows would show them doing and fixing an unperfect piece?
they always start out by saying "lets see how it came out" "Ahh its just perfect!" LOL
I wanna see that block come out like it comes out for me then explain why it turned out that way and how to fix it!

Rose Marie 08-22-2011 09:19 AM

Eleanor Burns has a quilt she sewed a piece of fabric onto and she kept it to show she is not perfect.
Also on her website when she is filming a class, sometimes she messes up. So nobody is perfect.
She also takes seams out with her rotary cutter, now that takes some practice.

kso 08-22-2011 09:27 AM

Love your pony pic.

With my mare's soundness issues, I may be in the market for an aged driving pony. If you hear of any in AZ or NM, let me know.

hlponyfarm 08-22-2011 10:20 AM

subscribe to the Carriage Driving list. It is world wide though most posts are from the US. There is always somethign for sale somewhere. Perhaps you could post your needs.

Originally Posted by kso
Love your pony pic.

With my mare's soundness issues, I may be in the market for an aged driving pony. If you hear of any in AZ or NM, let me know.

nativetexan 08-22-2011 10:43 AM

i always rip out seams with my small rotary cutter.

kso 08-22-2011 12:28 PM

Thanks, I already subscribe to that and to RED list.

mim 08-22-2011 12:28 PM

you are soooo brave -- I would chop up the fabric

Mim

Originally Posted by nativetexan
i always rip out seams with my small rotary cutter.

KwiltyKahy 08-22-2011 02:47 PM

Yes, yes, yes.

MadQuilter 08-22-2011 03:07 PM

Sorry but I disagree. I want to learn how to do it properly and IF (or when - lol) things go wonky, I want to dismantle it myself to figure it out.

It's either the cutting or the pressing, or the seam allowance or the orientation of the pieces. Looking at someone else's mistakes doesn't tell me why my work sucks.