Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Double wedding ring blues UPDATE - Pictures added Page 2 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/double-wedding-ring-blues-update-pictures-added-page-2-a-t17699.html)

Baren*eh*ked_canadian 03-15-2009 12:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Ok, I have NEVER had this much trouble getting my seams and edges to line up. Especially when working from templates! What the heck is wrong with me?
My curves go together like a charm, but then when I get to sewing my straight edges together, not one of them lines up! I rechecked my templates, rechecked all of my cut pieces... it SHOULD work and I'm getting so darn frustrated. My blocks dont even pretend to lay flat, even when ironed...*sigh*

I fudged the first block together, and it looks like a banana, and you can see here how there's no way this will ever lay flat, nothing even lines up!

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I got the templates from the tutorial on this forum...

Baren*eh*ked_canadian 03-15-2009 12:23 PM

What if I just re cut all of my white curvy triangle pieces and leave them way bigger, then trim them all to the same size afterward, would that work? I think it might still be wavy, but at least my edges will line up...

BellaBoo 03-15-2009 12:39 PM

I would try putting a tear away stabilizer on the back of each block making them stiff and flat and then sew them together. It is hard not to stretch the fabric some when sewing curves.

Jerrie 03-15-2009 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Baren*eh*ked_canadian
Ok, I have NEVER had this much trouble getting my seams and edges to line up. Especially when working from templates! What the heck is wrong with me?
My curves go together like a charm, but then when I get to sewing my straight edges together, not one of them lines up! I rechecked my templates, rechecked all of my cut pieces... it SHOULD work and I'm getting so darn frustrated. My blocks dont even pretend to lay flat, even when ironed...*sigh*

I fudged the first block together, and it looks like a banana, and you can see here how there's no way this will ever lay flat, nothing even lines up!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I got the templates from the tutorial on this forum...

what fourm

Up North 03-15-2009 03:31 PM

I started on quite some time ago and stashed it out of sight in a box because of this issue!!!

Baren*eh*ked_canadian 03-15-2009 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jerrie

Originally Posted by Baren*eh*ked_canadian

what fourm

In the tutorial section of quiltingboard.

patricej 03-16-2009 12:28 AM

it's hard to tell for sure from photos, but it looks as though your background sections are a bit too small for the rings so get stretched out of shape.

when you printed the templates from acrobat reader, did you remember to set page scaling to "none"? depending on your printer, you might also need to click the "advanced" tab and select "print as graphic". if you don't do that, the program makes its own adjustments to the size of the output. the pieces won't print out properly sized.

if that's the problem, then i have to take part of the blame for your problems. i just checked the instructions and noticed i never mentioned the need to check those two print settings. doing those two things is such an automatic habit for me that i guess i forgot. my sincere apologies. :oops:

Baren*eh*ked_canadian 03-16-2009 02:35 AM

EEp, lol!
I didn't check the page scaling...
But I'm not the only person who has used these templates, right? It's weird how I'm the only one who seems to be having the problem. If it's just the background pieces, I can easily go back and change them, thank God. I really do like this pattern and I do not want to abandon this project only 2 blocks into it.
Thanks for the suggestions!

patricej 03-16-2009 03:01 AM

maybe you aren't the only one who had problems. maybe you're the only one who didn't just throw the templates into the trash and look for other instructions. :lol:

thimblebug6000 03-16-2009 07:25 AM

I only made the one we did during the "class" and quilted & bound it into a table center piece.