Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Dresden quilt..going to try to do one..Any suggestions or hints? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dresden-quilt-going-try-do-one-any-suggestions-hints-t103736.html)

donnalynett 03-01-2011 07:15 PM

I purchased the Easy Dresden quilt template by Darlene Zimmerman. It can be ordered at www.ezquilt.com. It was so much easier than the pattern I tried the first time.

biscuitqueen 03-01-2011 07:21 PM

those are really beautifull.

jacie 03-01-2011 07:50 PM

I would like to find a pattern for a doll quilt size dresden plate. any one have one? thanks ..jacie

madamekelly 03-01-2011 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by jacie
I would like to find a pattern for a doll quilt size dresden plate. any one have one? thanks ..jacie

The Easy Dresden template mentioned above by donnalynett is great for doing small Dresdens. It has measurements for several sizes on it. It goes from 1 inch blades to 8 inch blades. There are others that go up to 25 inch blades or more. I would be glad to help you design one if you like. PM me if interested.

Diana Lynne 03-02-2011 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly

Originally Posted by jacie

The Easy Dresden template mentioned above by donnalynett is great for doing small Dresdens. It has measurements for several sizes on it. It goes from 1 inch blades to 8 inch blades. There are others that go up to 25 inch blades or more. I would be glad to help you design one if you like. PM me if interested.

Where can I find the template? Can I find one in our local fabric store? Hancocks? I just was going to try and cut out the design onto cardboard and I know that they do not withstand rottary cutters lol..

asmmauer 03-02-2011 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Painiacs
Thought the same. Is there a rule about fAbric colors? Can u use oriental fabrics? Don't know The history of these blocKs.

My friend just did a oriental dresden and it was breath taking each block was the same clolor tone using dark and light shades of that color and every color of the rainbow the gold matalics against such vivid colors was beautiful .

bakermom 03-02-2011 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Diana Lynne

Originally Posted by ssgramma
I just did my 1st one. It was pretty easy really. Best tip was to sew the blades together into sets then to sew the sets together.

Thank you so much..It is a very beautiful pattern and so many ways to go with it in regards to color schemes..When I see it, I think of flowers :D ..I want to do one that resembles a sunflower..With yellow blades with a brown circle..Not sure if that will work but the thought crossed my mind lol..Went to the store yesterday and hubby had to drag me out of it..I was going " but there is so many colors and so many ideas running thru my brain"..When you did yours, did you use muslin fabric as a background/block to put the pattern on?

I made one just like that. i made one large plate in the center of a muslin square then added borders. It was a lap-size about 60"sq. I used shades of yellow with a few gold petals and brown on brown for the center.

kateyb 03-02-2011 11:55 AM

I've done one dresden and several fan quilts and I would recommend pressing the seam allowances open instead of to one side. It makes it easier to sew to the background fabric.
I think the dresden is fun to do - so have fun.

jfowles 03-02-2011 12:04 PM

On what site did you find the pattern, I bought a kit from ebay and they forgot to include the pattern, my pleas for the pattern have gotten me nowhere so I need to find one on my own.

knitpick 03-02-2011 12:43 PM

I have looked at your many Dresdan Plate pictures. Years ago my mother-in-law and I made a dresdan plate. Instead of it being applicated, it was pieced does anyone know where I could find this pattern?