Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Dresden quilt..going to try to do one..Any suggestions or hints?

Blog Entries
    I have been drooling over the dresden pattern and want to try to do a quilt using it...I have checked different sites to get some info on how to do them and was able to download a pattern free..Is there any suggestions that you all can make that would help me in doing it? I have seen some very awesome and beautiful quilts here that have been done using the Dresden pattern..

I just did my 1st one. It was pretty easy really. Best tip was to sew the blades together into sets then to sew the sets together.

Are you doing the rounded blades or the pointed ones?

Should be some inspiration here.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/user_page.jsp?upnum=2276

http://www.google.com/images?q=dresd...ls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&sa=X&ei=m5FrTfneMs6utwfszrjmAg&ved=0CCQQsAQ&biw=911&bih=363

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ssgramma
    I just did my 1st one. It was pretty easy really. Best tip was to sew the blades together into sets then to sew the sets together.
    Thank you so much..It is a very beautiful pattern and so many ways to go with it in regards to color schemes..When I see it, I think of flowers :D ..I want to do one that resembles a sunflower..With yellow blades with a brown circle..Not sure if that will work but the thought crossed my mind lol..Went to the store yesterday and hubby had to drag me out of it..I was going " but there is so many colors and so many ideas running thru my brain"..When you did yours, did you use muslin fabric as a background/block to put the pattern on?

Blog Entries
    [quote=dakotamaid]Are you doing the rounded blades or the pointed ones?

http://www.google.com/images?q=dresd...ls=org.mozilla:en-U

The pattern I downloaded has rounded blades but on Mousourri Quilt I saw where she used the pointed ones and how she did it..I looked really nice and easy, so I may go and download that pattern as well..Those are some very beautiful quilts you posted!!! I just want to reach thru the computer screen and touch them :D

Blog Entries
    Thought the same. Is there a rule about fAbric colors? Can u use oriental fabrics? Dont know The history of these blocKs.

I think the oriental fabrics would look fabulous. Be careful of scale would be my only advice. Many oriental fabrics are very large scale and on those slender blades you would lose the design. Whatever fabric you choose fold it so only what the blade would be and step back and look. Than go from there. Remember it has to look good to you. :)

If you want to go traditional small calicos are pretty traditional to this pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Lynne
    Quote Originally Posted by ssgramma
    Thank you so much..It is a very beautiful pattern and so many ways to go with it in regards to color schemes..When I see it, I think of flowers :D ..I want to do one that resembles a sunflower..With yellow blades with a brown circle..Not sure if that will work but the thought crossed my mind lol..Went to the store yesterday and hubby had to drag me out of it..I was going " but there is so many colors and so many ideas running thru my brain"..When you did yours, did you use muslin fabric as a background/block to put the pattern on?
    No, I did it on a navy mottled fabric. But I only did one to use for a small table topper. My round binding was less than stellar though. It wants to curl but only slightly. It may turn into a basket liner LOL

BMP
    Blog Entries
    I want to do one into a runner sometime soon

Quote Originally Posted by Painiacs
    Thought the same. Is there a rule about fAbric colors? Can u use oriental fabrics? Dont know The history of these blocKs.
    No rule, as in any quilt, do what is appealing to you. I obviously didn't do the 2nd one, I saved the picture for quilting ideas.. YEA RIGHT, I CAN DO THAT! It is gorgeous.
    Attached Images Attached Images

BMP
    Blog Entries
    These are awesome !

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have mine with pointed blades almost finished. I did it like the Missouri Star Quilt Co. video. It was pretty simple. I did the applique with ivisible thread.

I've seen many Dresden Plates that look like sunflowers and they always look good to me. Do a sample block and see what you think.

Riversong makes the most beautiful dresden plates, PM her, I'm sure she will help you.

Mine is shown in that link. I used a template to do the blades and handstitched it together while we were camping. I appliqued them on the background but with regular thread, I can't handle the invisible thread. I've been battling myself to NOT make another one -- to get a quilt done for a friend that I'd promised her. :) :) But my NEXT quilt will be a Dresden.. :)

Someone posted this link a couple of months ago. I fell in love with design. I've put this on my top 10 list of things to do soon.

http://lurlineg.blogspot.com/2009/12...-tutorial.html

Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    Are you doing the rounded blades or the pointed ones?

http://www.google.com/images?q=dresd...ls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&sa=X&ei=m5FrTfneMs6utwfszrjmAg&ved=0CCQQsAQ&biw=911&bih=363
    Agreed - these are the weblinks I have on my FAVORITES list also.

Bamamama, your green and tan quilt is just beautiful! More and more I am seeing these two colors together. I must say, I never thought of it, but I sure do like it! :)

I am also almost done with my Dresden plate. I used the pointed stars and I also followed the tutorisl in this board. There are some beauties out there. This board is very talented. Good Luck

I made one a couple of months ago and I used scraps and done a yellow center and done strip piecing for the sashing and border. then put on the binding. they are easy to make and I also used muslin for my blocks so they wouldn't be so heavy with all the other material of the plates on them because I didn't want to cut the material from behind the plates. I was proud of mine. check out My first attempt at Dresden plate on the board and you can see mine. Do you a test block first or sew you blades and lay them on the block to see how they look. what looks good to you. There are no rules on them. Good luck and let us see.

I have started on one using scraps of small prints in a lot of different colors, I want it to be real scrappy. I am not sure what I will make out of it, maybe a table topper. I plan to stitch them on Kona Cotton Snow. Later I would like to make one in maroon, navy and tan for a king size bed. I am using a ruler.

I just did my first ones. My sister gave me my Daddy's ties when he passed away. He was in realestate and had lots. It took 12 ties ends for each. I made a pillow for each of my sisters and will soon be mailing them to them. If you don't have any old ties, go to Good Well and they are cheap. Try a pillow. Don't have to worry about the points because they are finished. Took part of the tie for the center. I am going to try the small ends next. I am so proud of them I want to try a blanket out of the scrap material I have. But first my DH's grandmother left me several put together, I just need to finish the points and put them on the material. So much to do and lots of time.

I just finished 6 Dresden "wheels" yesterday. It was surprisingly easy. I can't believe I was intimidated to try it, but you'll be amazed at how simple it really is. It's a beautiful pattern.

Blog Entries
    I am really looking forward to doing this..I fell in love with this pattern when I saw it :-D .Thank you all for the wonderful advice and help..

Blog Entries
    There are a number of Dresden Plate rulers on the market. The number of blades per plate is determined by the angle of the blade.

Go to YouTube (http://www.youtube.com) and search for "dresden plate" and you will find videos describing how to use many different rulers and ideas for Dresden Plate blocks.

Linda Franz has Inklingo collections for both applique AND pieced Dresden Plate blocks. She even has a little book with oodles of ideas for different styles of Dresden Plate blocks.

http://www.inklingo.com/shop/dresden-plate-quilt/19

If you click on the various collections, you will see more detailed information on the shapes and design possibilities. I am not affiliated with this product, but I am saving up my pennies to get one of these collections :-).

i went to youtube and clicked on the missori quilt.com and she done an illistration..it helped me out alot..i have just about completed mine..very easy to do!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast