Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dresden quilt..going to try to do one..Any suggestions or hints?

I've made this quilt and think the pointed pattern is so much easier and quicker than the rounded blade. Good luck...

Missouri Star quilt has a nice tutorial

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the lurlineg link. Am definitely going to try this in a short time.

Blog Entries
    I love the Lurlineg tute.

I am almost done with my Dresden. I used the pointed blades with imitation 30's fabric on a marbeled royal blue background. It was so much fun to do, I am really getting excited about applique. If you use monofiliment thread there are some hints on this board that will really help. Just a question, are the "plates" called something else when they have points? Have fun with your quilt, be sure and post pictures.

I saw a video on Missouri Star Quilt Co site for a dresden plate with pointed blades using a wedge ruler that was very pretty and looked easy enough, which is a plus for me. Might try checking it out. Let us see the results! :thumbup:

I have thought about doing one of the pic I posted in sunflower colors. This works really quick !
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-99250-1.htm

Blog Entries
    I am currently working on a Dresden Plate. Six of us decided to do a friendship quilt and we decided on the Dresden. We are using 1930 reproduction prints on an unbleached muslin background and the rest is up to each individuals taste choice. Some will be rounded, some pointed, some a mixture of both with embellishment at the person's choice. We just have to come up with 24 blocks to exchange 4 with one another. I am having fun making my blocks using the template from the Flynn Frame Quilting Company. When completed I will have 24 blocks to put together a lovely quilt for myself adding one more block as the label block my quilt will be 5X5 of 12" blocks and border. When I get it done (which is supposed to be Oct 1 deadline for our quilts as to not have another UFO pending) I will attempt to take pictures and post. Maybe by then I will have figured out how to do that. Enjoy making your Dresden Plates they are sew much fun. I am also going to check out some of the websites mentioned they sound really neat.

Senior Member quilting in my60s's Avatar
    For the dresden plate: if you go to Missouri Quilt company and their tutorial videos there is one on dresden plate that looks very easy to do.

Senior Member quilting in my60s's Avatar
    Sorry I am repeating what someone already said!

I love the Dresden plate tool. It is made by EZ International and has directions in the ruler. Also there are some great books on Dresden plate quilts....and remember to use your imagination too ! Have fun !

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I am hand piecing a blade one using 30's reproductions, I only have 4 more blocks to do and then I can think about making a quilt out of them!
    They are a great take along project..really quick and easy to do by hand.

Power Poster
    I made a Dresden Plate family reunion quilt two years ago and it was a huge hit. I used Eleanor Burns' Quilt in a Day pattern, which was fairly easy, using strips of fabric, marking, cutting and then sewing the ends chain piecing style. I asked my family to send blue fabric and they sent medium blue fabric in assorted prints which turned out to be wonderfully coordinated. I used the same fabric for the centers of the block, then a coordinating blue fabric for 4 wedges in each block (12-3-6-9 positions like a clock) and the sashing was the same blue and a white, with 9-patch cornerstones. I machine stitched the plate to a white background. The blue and white combination was striking, but any color combination would work. Nice pattern choice. MargeD

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Lynne
    I have been drooling over the dresden pattern and want to try to do a quilt using it...I have checked different sites to get some info on how to do them and was able to download a pattern free..Is there any suggestions that you all can make that would help me in doing it? I have seen some very awesome and beautiful quilts here that have been done using the Dresden pattern..
    If you happen to have the Accuquilt cutter they have the dresden die - I don't have it but I know from the reading I've done that several have used it and love it. Good luck. Also if you happen to have an embroidery machine you could do it that way too.

Power Poster
    I have made both round and pointed prefer the pointed. Did one quilt in reproduction fabrics which is a favorite and right now am working on a scrappy one and really like it also. Good luck with yours.

I would use Elenor Burns method, same as she does her Sunbonnet Sue. Stitch the plate to fusible, turn and iron onto your fabric square and stitch around the plate.

In 1945 while my mother was pregnant with my youngest brother she made 16 dresden plate quilt blocks from patterned feed sack material. She never did anything with them but put them in a church sale where I bought them (my dad said if I wanted them I should buy them so I did). I used 6 of them to make wall hangings for my 5 siblings and myself. I then used 7 of them as the center block for 7 queen size quilts for my children. The other blocks I made from my stash. This way everyone has something from my mom.

Type Missouri Star Quilt Company into your search engine. You will find a ruler made especially for cutting the blades and the best tutorial you will ever see on that site.

I have become a Dresden plate addict as a result of seeing that tutorial!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bamamama
    Quote Originally Posted by Painiacs
    Thought the same. Is there a rule about fAbric colors? Can u use oriental fabrics? Dont know The history of these blocKs.
    No rule, as in any quilt, do what is appealing to you. I obviously didn't do the 2nd one, I saved the picture for quilting ideas.. YEA RIGHT, I CAN DO THAT! It is gorgeous.
    Bamamama, I like your quilt. It's very nice and could be used for quilting idea too!

[quote=Diana Lynne]
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    Are you doing the rounded blades or the pointed ones?

Should be some inspiration here.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/user_page.jsp?upnum=2276

http://www.google.com/images?q=dresd...ls=org.mozilla:en-U

The pattern I downloaded has rounded blades but on Mousourri Quilt I saw where she used the pointed ones and how she did it..I looked really nice and easy, so I may go and download that pattern as well..Those are some very beautiful quilts you posted!!! I just want to reach thru the computer screen and touch them :D
    My grandmother who died in 1965 at age 92 always called the rounded ones Dresden Plate and the pointed ones Sunburst. She and I made the "Sunburst" one when I was 17. She's the only person I ever heard call it that.

Blog Entries
    Check out Eleanor Burns site. She does a show where she sergers the blades together. Her special guest said that she wouldn't. Either way, it was beautiful and fast using a different technique.

Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    Are you doing the rounded blades or the pointed ones?

Should be some inspiration here.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/user_page.jsp?upnum=2276

http://www.google.com/images?q=dresd...ls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&sa=X&ei=m5FrTfneMs6utwfszrjmAg&ved=0CCQQsAQ&biw=911&bih=363
    That google site that has all the images is fantastic. Gives me ideas and I may break down and create a dresden plate quilt. I bookmarked the site so I could return and look it over and over again. Thank you!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Lynne
    I have been drooling over the dresden pattern and want to try to do a quilt using it...I have checked different sites to get some info on how to do them and was able to download a pattern free..Is there any suggestions that you all can make that would help me in doing it? I have seen some very awesome and beautiful quilts here that have been done using the Dresden pattern..
    I just did my first also.
    1. Template cutting made it easy to be accurate for me. 2. When you are ready to applique it down, you can not over pin or baste it too much.
    3. Sew from large end to small end of each blade
    4. Used iron on tape on outer edges to baste in place so I could hand sew it down.
    5. Pointed blades are easier for a beginner like me.

This is one I did. I found a really neat green fabric to set it on. I like it with a pattern instead of a solid color for the background. Either one turns out a pretty quilt though. I had the yellows and brown in my stash. The pattern for this was with the ruler at JoAnn's.
    Attached Images Attached Images

www.missouristarquilt.com is the best tutorials ,she makes everything so easy! and her's are pointed..I bought the template for it...have yet to try it out...but it'll be easy with her tutorial.
    Cindy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast