Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Drunkards Path rulers - what is your favorite? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/drunkards-path-rulers-what-your-favorite-t316558.html)

DawnFurlong 10-07-2021 09:51 AM

Drunkards Path rulers - what is your favorite?

I have fallen in love with this block. I watched a YouTube video on using rulers by CutRite to create this block (CutRite Slit 'N Sew Drunkard Path Rulers This made sewing a curved seam appear easier to do. I had tried curved seams before using Winding Way rulers, but never mastered the technique.

Then I saw another ruler demonstrated to make this block (Classic Curves ruler) - Classic Curves Ruler by ColorGirl I thought that this ruler would be good for creating a variety of different blocks, and that dividing the seams up into fourths before sewing together would be very similar to lining up the slits in the CutRite ruler. However, there are quite a few steps to be taken to use this ruler.

Have you used either (or both) of these rulers? Or another ruler set? Was there a particular technique or method that you found helpful in mastering curved seams?

Onebyone 10-07-2021 02:37 PM

I've used several different DP rulers/templates. I also have the complete DP system from https://www.sewinspired.com/2010/10/winding-curves/ I won those at a local quilt show for 1st place decades ago. They are excellent but pricey.
I have the DP die for the Go that finishes at 7 inch, odd size. I have the block lock set I picked up on the guild free table but never used them. My favorite are the templates from Missouri Star. In two sizes. One for a ten inch square and one for five inch square. Not pricey and both have gentle curves. In fact the large size was a daily special a couple weeks ago for about $6.

ctrysass2012 10-07-2021 07:22 PM

Just got the MS template/ruler in the mail today. Got it to use with 10" squares. Have not used it yet but am hoping using 10" squares will make them easier.

Peckish 10-07-2021 08:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bethanne Nemesh just came out with a DP template. https://www.whitearborquilting.com/p...uilt-template/

When I made my DP quilt, I didn't use templates or rulers. I cut circles and squares, sewed the circles on top of the squares, sewed a bias strip on top to cover the raw edges, then cut the block into quarters.

aashley333 10-08-2021 04:04 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I sew lots of curves. One piece is concave, and one is convex. I fold the concave piece in half and snip the SA about 1/8 inch, then also in the mid-point on each side of the center (3 snips in all). Then take the convex piece and fold to find the center--to match up with snip on concave piece. Place a pin to hold centers together. After that, I line up (and pin) each end. Next, ease each half and pin. When I stitch, I don't lay the pieces flat, but rather lift and feed --The pieces are already "curved" with the pins. Hope this is clear as mud!
(The last pic shows my snipping)

SusieQOH 10-08-2021 05:32 AM

I've had success with Missouri Stars templates. I also have Accuquilt's but haven't used it yet.

Onebyone 10-08-2021 05:43 AM

I glue baste my curves first then sew them if they want to be contrary.

juliasb 10-08-2021 08:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have used the Cut Rite ruler and loved it at the time. I have now gone to using Accuquilt and they have 3 different sizes and I fell in love all over again. Here are a couple different Drunkard paths I did. Of course these are unfinished. The first one is a lap quilt and the second one is a king size quilt that is now on my bed.

DawnFurlong 10-08-2021 09:26 AM

OnebyOne - I looked up Missouri Star rulers after you mentioned them. I generally like anything by Missouri Star! I'll have to remember about glue basting if I'm having trouble.

ctrysass2012 - I'm thinking I want to go with a larger block to start with as well, as I also thought that would be easier.

Peckish - Your quilt is just gorgeous! The black and jewel tones together really pop, and I love the added touch of the bias tape along the curves. I'll look up those rulers, thank you!

aashley333 - Your quilts are beautiful, there are so many variations on this block. Yes, that does make sense. It is essentially what the CutRite ruler is doing with the slits marked in the ruler. I like when rulers have other applications, so if I went with a curved ruler, I can make my own markings easily.

SusieQOH - Another vote for Missouri Star, I have used their Tumbler template, and it worked well.

Juliasb - Love your quilts, that is a very interesting design on the first one. I really like how by turning the blocks you can get so many different effects. I guess I just need to decide which way I want to go with regard to a ruler. I just cut a lot of 1-1/2 inch strips for a bargello quilt. I think I did fairly well at eliminating any slight curve in my strips, but I didn't find it as easy to cut using a longer ruler as I thought I would (and I am more apt to get that little bend when folding the fabric 2x before cutting). Makes me think of an Accuquilt, cutting is my nemesis right now, no matter how slowly and carefully I go.

sewingpup 10-08-2021 09:49 AM

I bought two sizes of the dies from Aquilt. I found the larger size much easier to work with then the small size.