Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Dryer Sheets (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dryer-sheets-t185593.html)

Candace 04-11-2012 07:10 AM

They belong in the garbage.

Sweeterthanwine 04-11-2012 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 5132779)
They belong in the garbage.

Better yet if you go camping and build a campfire, they make great fire starters. Just put them in an empty toilet roll and toss in the fire. This keeps them out of the landfill.

BellaBoo 04-11-2012 08:31 AM

There are non toxic non chemical dryer sheets available. Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day Basil Dryer Sheets Sun & Earth dryer sheets

MacThayer 04-11-2012 08:45 AM

The primary reason I don't use them is that they are extremely flammable, even after being washed. If you want a shock, go outside and set one on fire. It will go up like a torch, and in the blink of an eye, there will be nothing left but ash. Yes, I'm probably too security conscious, but this is just too scary for me! I use alternatives that are not so scary.

Just my opinion!

Retired Fire Chief 04-12-2012 02:59 AM

I spoke with a woman at a quilt show last year who uses used dryer sheets in her appliqued quilts, she said they are sturdy but soft enough not to change the weight or softness of the fabric and they are easy to sew through. She has been using them for years and said she has never experienced any problems.

SunlitenSmiles 04-12-2012 03:24 AM

they are toxic chemical trash - and you are thinking of concealing them in a quilt ?

judylg 04-12-2012 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by bakermom (Post 5132532)
If they work for you use them. It's really no one's business but yours.

I agree with this thought, it is no ones business. On another note, you know the lint you take out of the dryer, from your clothing, try lighting that on fire. Gone in a minute, burns very easily, too. The flammability issue is important,but the thing is cotton burns, too. No getting around that. The sensitivity issue is bad for those that suffer from it, there are those that claim sensitivity to scents but it is more a matter of not liking the scents. And that I disagree with.

tlstick 04-12-2012 04:51 AM

I use coffee filters for applique, I find they work ok for me, then tear away. But I am a self tought sewer and there maybe a better way.

tgreen130 04-12-2012 05:08 AM

They are flammable

Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine (Post 5130596)
Somewhere a time ago I read on this board that you should not use dryer sheets in string quilts because of the fragrance and chemicals in them. How about the fragrance free ones? I know they probably still have some chemicals in them, but at least there is no fragrance to bother allergies. Any thoughts?

One issue is the chemicals but the biggest one is that they are flammable and melt at higher temperatures than the dryer.

Tink's Mom 04-12-2012 05:30 AM

I tried them awhile ago... on a doll quilt...but, I used them at least 4 times before sewing on them.
I am not currently using them, due to all the info on the board...and I agree...you can just use the cheapest interfacing you can find or I have found a stash of flannel blankets at my Aunt's house and took a stained one home.
After washing and drying I cut it up into 10 1/2" squares. I avoided the stained area and tossed that.
It looks like this was a hospital blanket, as it had the hospital name in the edging.