Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: Dryer Sheets

  1. #1
    Super Member Sweeterthanwine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Stagecoach, NV
    Posts
    1,585

    Dryer Sheets

    Somewhere a time ago I read on this board that you should not use dryer sheets in string quilts because of the fragrance and chemicals in them. How about the fragrance free ones? I know they probably still have some chemicals in them, but at least there is no fragrance to bother allergies. Any thoughts?

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Southeast Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,067
    I thought it was USED dryer sheets that worked for foundation piecing but could be wrong. Some of the chemicals and scent would have washed away but don't know if all is gone.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sturbridge, Ma
    Posts
    4,014
    The recent post said not to use either washed or unwashed dryer sheets as the used one's still had chemicals in them.

  4. #4
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    I wouldn't use the dryer sheets for a baby quilts. I guess you could add fusible to the same list. The adhesive is full of chemicals and doesn't wash out. The hospital usually has the chemical or allergic sensitive patients in a control environment so no donated items are in their room anyway.
    Got fabric?

  5. #5
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    I believe that over a very short period of time, the stuff washes out of the dryer sheets. It's not much after being used the first time, and I hand wash them and dry them again in the dryer before using them. They work so perfect for applique pieces, I don't want to quit using them. A few people are sensitive to products like that, so if making a quilt for a specific person who has that sensitivity, then I wouldn't use them. But for most people I don't believe the scent issue is an issue at all. Use common sense in all these things. It's like baseball stadiums saying they're going to stop selling peanuts because someone in the stands "might" be allergic to peanuts. All these extreme measures are just getting to be too much!!

  6. #6
    Senior Member qbquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    800
    If you want to use them, maybe include a content message on your label? Like "Made with recycled dryer sheets and scraps of new (or recycled) fabric using (whatever kind of batting you use) batting and 100% cotton backing." That way you can use them and any recipients will be aware of them.

  7. #7
    Super Member babyboomerquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,732
    Blog Entries
    3
    I like them to use for applique. The chemicals and scent does not bother me because I only give my items to family or friends that I knowI agree they should not be put in babies items.
    Bonnie

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,598
    I started the thread about dryer sheets. I do not recommend using them- used or not- out of consideration for others because of chemicals- not just fragrances. There's no reason to use them because I can use inexpensive interfacing to achieve the EXACT same result for applique. Dryer sheets are just spun polyester mesh or scrim interfacing that is impregnated with chemicals. Interfacing is very cheap. I'm not going crazy and saying don't wash the fabrics and quilts in detergents that might be a problem for someone. They can rewash if needed. I'm just saying don't hide chemicals INSIDE the quilt. It's NOT just about the scent and whether or not you can smell it, and it's hardly an extreme measure. If someone has a chronic headache, eye watering, breathing problem, or itchy skin or rash- who would think it was a reaction to something INSIDE the quilt? Seems like an unnecessary and avoidable risk if you are gifting a quilt meant to make someone feel good. I'm a retired Nurse Practitioner, and have heard agreement from many folks here on the Board. Common sense says go ahead and reuse the dryer sheets for a second load, dusting, maybe wall hanging, etc., not inside a quilt or quilted clothing.

  9. #9
    QM
    QM is offline
    Power Poster QM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Northern California mountains
    Posts
    12,541
    Someone I know had discoloration to her quilt from the (used) dryer sheets. I did not hear what brand, if it matters. I can't use any scented sheets anyway, so that does not apply to me. Our pricey new couch came wrapped in about 15 yards of poly scrim I plan to use that for foundations. Something I have used previously is well used and well washed elderly bedsheets.

  10. #10
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,554
    If they work for you use them. It's really no one's business but yours.

  11. #11
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    They belong in the garbage.

  12. #12
    Super Member Sweeterthanwine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Stagecoach, NV
    Posts
    1,585
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    They belong in the garbage.
    Better yet if you go camping and build a campfire, they make great fire starters. Just put them in an empty toilet roll and toss in the fire. This keeps them out of the landfill.

  13. #13
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    There are non toxic non chemical dryer sheets available. Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day Basil Dryer Sheets Sun & Earth dryer sheets
    Got fabric?

  14. #14
    Super Member MacThayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,101
    The primary reason I don't use them is that they are extremely flammable, even after being washed. If you want a shock, go outside and set one on fire. It will go up like a torch, and in the blink of an eye, there will be nothing left but ash. Yes, I'm probably too security conscious, but this is just too scary for me! I use alternatives that are not so scary.

    Just my opinion!
    MacThayer

  15. #15
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Saginaw Michigan
    Posts
    2,302
    Blog Entries
    1
    I spoke with a woman at a quilt show last year who uses used dryer sheets in her appliqued quilts, she said they are sturdy but soft enough not to change the weight or softness of the fabric and they are easy to sew through. She has been using them for years and said she has never experienced any problems.

  16. #16
    Super Member SunlitenSmiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,402
    Blog Entries
    2
    they are toxic chemical trash - and you are thinking of concealing them in a quilt ?

  17. #17
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,321
    Quote Originally Posted by bakermom View Post
    If they work for you use them. It's really no one's business but yours.
    I agree with this thought, it is no ones business. On another note, you know the lint you take out of the dryer, from your clothing, try lighting that on fire. Gone in a minute, burns very easily, too. The flammability issue is important,but the thing is cotton burns, too. No getting around that. The sensitivity issue is bad for those that suffer from it, there are those that claim sensitivity to scents but it is more a matter of not liking the scents. And that I disagree with.

  18. #18
    Member tlstick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bear Lake, michigan
    Posts
    87
    I use coffee filters for applique, I find they work ok for me, then tear away. But I am a self tought sewer and there maybe a better way.
    Old Gma

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    19

    They are flammable

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine View Post
    Somewhere a time ago I read on this board that you should not use dryer sheets in string quilts because of the fragrance and chemicals in them. How about the fragrance free ones? I know they probably still have some chemicals in them, but at least there is no fragrance to bother allergies. Any thoughts?
    One issue is the chemicals but the biggest one is that they are flammable and melt at higher temperatures than the dryer.

  20. #20
    Super Member Tink's Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    chicago, IL
    Posts
    9,692
    I tried them awhile ago... on a doll quilt...but, I used them at least 4 times before sewing on them.
    I am not currently using them, due to all the info on the board...and I agree...you can just use the cheapest interfacing you can find or I have found a stash of flannel blankets at my Aunt's house and took a stained one home.
    After washing and drying I cut it up into 10 1/2" squares. I avoided the stained area and tossed that.
    It looks like this was a hospital blanket, as it had the hospital name in the edging.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

  21. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    192

    dryer sheets

    I have used used dryer sheets for string quilts for years with no problems.

  22. #22
    Super Member Happy Linda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Port Ludlow, WA
    Posts
    1,383
    Blog Entries
    5
    Not related to quilting. Fabric sheets cause jock itch for men. Not a good situation.
    Linda

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
    I started the thread about dryer sheets. I do not recommend using them- used or not- out of consideration for others because of chemicals- not just fragrances. There's no reason to use them because I can use inexpensive interfacing to achieve the EXACT same result for applique. Dryer sheets are just spun polyester mesh or scrim interfacing that is impregnated with chemicals. Interfacing is very cheap. I'm not going crazy and saying don't wash the fabrics and quilts in detergents that might be a problem for someone. They can rewash if needed. I'm just saying don't hide chemicals INSIDE the quilt. It's NOT just about the scent and whether or not you can smell it, and it's hardly an extreme measure. If someone has a chronic headache, eye watering, breathing problem, or itchy skin or rash- who would think it was a reaction to something INSIDE the quilt? Seems like an unnecessary and avoidable risk if you are gifting a quilt meant to make someone feel good. I'm a retired Nurse Practitioner, and have heard agreement from many folks here on the Board. Common sense says go ahead and reuse the dryer sheets for a second load, dusting, maybe wall hanging, etc., not inside a quilt or quilted clothing.
    given how many "chemicals" are used to make the fabric, the thread and the batting, why make a quilt at all if you are that concerned about the chemicals? THe Military tested dryer sheets to see when the chemicals went away, as they leave behind a residue on the clothing that can be seen through night vision goggles. After 3 washings the chemicals were gone....SO, take your used dryer sheets, run through a HOT water cycle in the washer and call them useable!

  24. #24
    Member GrannyFitz4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Western WA. State
    Posts
    74
    I use used dryer sheets to clean my lint screen for the dryer with each laundry load. For foundation strip piecing, I buy inexpensive muslin at Joannes and cut it into 12.5 or 15 inch squares. I can see where inexpensive bed sheets would be good for that purpose. Some people use newspapers, but I don't like that method because you must remove the newspapers when the squares are done.

  25. #25
    Super Member Sweeterthanwine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Stagecoach, NV
    Posts
    1,585
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyFitz4 View Post
    I use used dryer sheets to clean my lint screen for the dryer with each laundry load. For foundation strip piecing, I buy inexpensive muslin at Joannes and cut it into 12.5 or 15 inch squares. I can see where inexpensive bed sheets would be good for that purpose. Some people use newspapers, but I don't like that method because you must remove the newspapers when the squares are done.
    This sounds like a great idea. Used sheets are cheap at the thrift stores. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.