Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dryer Sheets

Dryer Sheets

Somewhere a time ago I read on this board that you should not use dryer sheets in string quilts because of the fragrance and chemicals in them. How about the fragrance free ones? I know they probably still have some chemicals in them, but at least there is no fragrance to bother allergies. Any thoughts?

I thought it was USED dryer sheets that worked for foundation piecing but could be wrong. Some of the chemicals and scent would have washed away but don't know if all is gone.

Banned
    The recent post said not to use either washed or unwashed dryer sheets as the used one's still had chemicals in them.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't use the dryer sheets for a baby quilts. I guess you could add fusible to the same list. The adhesive is full of chemicals and doesn't wash out. The hospital usually has the chemical or allergic sensitive patients in a control environment so no donated items are in their room anyway.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I believe that over a very short period of time, the stuff washes out of the dryer sheets. It's not much after being used the first time, and I hand wash them and dry them again in the dryer before using them. They work so perfect for applique pieces, I don't want to quit using them. A few people are sensitive to products like that, so if making a quilt for a specific person who has that sensitivity, then I wouldn't use them. But for most people I don't believe the scent issue is an issue at all. Use common sense in all these things. It's like baseball stadiums saying they're going to stop selling peanuts because someone in the stands "might" be allergic to peanuts. All these extreme measures are just getting to be too much!!

If you want to use them, maybe include a content message on your label? Like "Made with recycled dryer sheets and scraps of new (or recycled) fabric using (whatever kind of batting you use) batting and 100% cotton backing." That way you can use them and any recipients will be aware of them.

Blog Entries
    I like them to use for applique. The chemicals and scent does not bother me because I only give my items to family or friends that I knowI agree they should not be put in babies items.
    Bonnie

I started the thread about dryer sheets. I do not recommend using them- used or not- out of consideration for others because of chemicals- not just fragrances. There's no reason to use them because I can use inexpensive interfacing to achieve the EXACT same result for applique. Dryer sheets are just spun polyester mesh or scrim interfacing that is impregnated with chemicals. Interfacing is very cheap. I'm not going crazy and saying don't wash the fabrics and quilts in detergents that might be a problem for someone. They can rewash if needed. I'm just saying don't hide chemicals INSIDE the quilt. It's NOT just about the scent and whether or not you can smell it, and it's hardly an extreme measure. If someone has a chronic headache, eye watering, breathing problem, or itchy skin or rash- who would think it was a reaction to something INSIDE the quilt? Seems like an unnecessary and avoidable risk if you are gifting a quilt meant to make someone feel good. I'm a retired Nurse Practitioner, and have heard agreement from many folks here on the Board. Common sense says go ahead and reuse the dryer sheets for a second load, dusting, maybe wall hanging, etc., not inside a quilt or quilted clothing.

QM
    Someone I know had discoloration to her quilt from the (used) dryer sheets. I did not hear what brand, if it matters. I can't use any scented sheets anyway, so that does not apply to me. Our pricey new couch came wrapped in about 15 yards of poly scrim I plan to use that for foundations. Something I have used previously is well used and well washed elderly bedsheets.

If they work for you use them. It's really no one's business but yours.

They belong in the garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    They belong in the garbage.
    Better yet if you go camping and build a campfire, they make great fire starters. Just put them in an empty toilet roll and toss in the fire. This keeps them out of the landfill.

Blog Entries
    There are non toxic non chemical dryer sheets available. Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day Basil Dryer Sheets Sun & Earth dryer sheets
    Got fabric?

The primary reason I don't use them is that they are extremely flammable, even after being washed. If you want a shock, go outside and set one on fire. It will go up like a torch, and in the blink of an eye, there will be nothing left but ash. Yes, I'm probably too security conscious, but this is just too scary for me! I use alternatives that are not so scary.

Just my opinion!
    MacThayer

Blog Entries
    I spoke with a woman at a quilt show last year who uses used dryer sheets in her appliqued quilts, she said they are sturdy but soft enough not to change the weight or softness of the fabric and they are easy to sew through. She has been using them for years and said she has never experienced any problems.

Blog Entries
    they are toxic chemical trash - and you are thinking of concealing them in a quilt ?

Quote Originally Posted by bakermom View Post
    If they work for you use them. It's really no one's business but yours.
    I agree with this thought, it is no ones business. On another note, you know the lint you take out of the dryer, from your clothing, try lighting that on fire. Gone in a minute, burns very easily, too. The flammability issue is important,but the thing is cotton burns, too. No getting around that. The sensitivity issue is bad for those that suffer from it, there are those that claim sensitivity to scents but it is more a matter of not liking the scents. And that I disagree with.

I use coffee filters for applique, I find they work ok for me, then tear away. But I am a self tought sewer and there maybe a better way.
    Old Gma

They are flammable

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine View Post
    Somewhere a time ago I read on this board that you should not use dryer sheets in string quilts because of the fragrance and chemicals in them. How about the fragrance free ones? I know they probably still have some chemicals in them, but at least there is no fragrance to bother allergies. Any thoughts?
    One issue is the chemicals but the biggest one is that they are flammable and melt at higher temperatures than the dryer.

I tried them awhile ago... on a doll quilt...but, I used them at least 4 times before sewing on them.
    I am not currently using them, due to all the info on the board...and I agree...you can just use the cheapest interfacing you can find or I have found a stash of flannel blankets at my Aunt's house and took a stained one home.
    After washing and drying I cut it up into 10 1/2" squares. I avoided the stained area and tossed that.
    It looks like this was a hospital blanket, as it had the hospital name in the edging.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

dryer sheets

I have used used dryer sheets for string quilts for years with no problems.

Blog Entries
    Not related to quilting. Fabric sheets cause jock itch for men. Not a good situation.
    Linda

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
    I started the thread about dryer sheets. I do not recommend using them- used or not- out of consideration for others because of chemicals- not just fragrances. There's no reason to use them because I can use inexpensive interfacing to achieve the EXACT same result for applique. Dryer sheets are just spun polyester mesh or scrim interfacing that is impregnated with chemicals. Interfacing is very cheap. I'm not going crazy and saying don't wash the fabrics and quilts in detergents that might be a problem for someone. They can rewash if needed. I'm just saying don't hide chemicals INSIDE the quilt. It's NOT just about the scent and whether or not you can smell it, and it's hardly an extreme measure. If someone has a chronic headache, eye watering, breathing problem, or itchy skin or rash- who would think it was a reaction to something INSIDE the quilt? Seems like an unnecessary and avoidable risk if you are gifting a quilt meant to make someone feel good. I'm a retired Nurse Practitioner, and have heard agreement from many folks here on the Board. Common sense says go ahead and reuse the dryer sheets for a second load, dusting, maybe wall hanging, etc., not inside a quilt or quilted clothing.
    given how many "chemicals" are used to make the fabric, the thread and the batting, why make a quilt at all if you are that concerned about the chemicals? THe Military tested dryer sheets to see when the chemicals went away, as they leave behind a residue on the clothing that can be seen through night vision goggles. After 3 washings the chemicals were gone....SO, take your used dryer sheets, run through a HOT water cycle in the washer and call them useable!

I use used dryer sheets to clean my lint screen for the dryer with each laundry load. For foundation strip piecing, I buy inexpensive muslin at Joannes and cut it into 12.5 or 15 inch squares. I can see where inexpensive bed sheets would be good for that purpose. Some people use newspapers, but I don't like that method because you must remove the newspapers when the squares are done.

Quote Originally Posted by GrannyFitz4 View Post
    I use used dryer sheets to clean my lint screen for the dryer with each laundry load. For foundation strip piecing, I buy inexpensive muslin at Joannes and cut it into 12.5 or 15 inch squares. I can see where inexpensive bed sheets would be good for that purpose. Some people use newspapers, but I don't like that method because you must remove the newspapers when the squares are done.
    This sounds like a great idea. Used sheets are cheap at the thrift stores. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast