Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   dumb question! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dumb-question-t45974.html)

mountain deb 05-18-2010 05:39 AM

I read on here somewhere, where someone used these damaged mats for templets. Just cut the shape you need.

Overlander 05-18-2010 03:33 PM

I did the same thing last summer. It wasn't a big warp but enough that one side was really out of whack. My DH helped me iron it with a HOT dry iron through a towel then set a very heavy board on top. We did this about 4 times and each time it was better and better. It still has a tiny warp, but is now useable again. Good luck, Barb

GailG 05-18-2010 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
I glued mine down to a piece of wood. Secure with clamps and weights (all over) until it dries.

Good luck

Now, there's a genius!

:wink: Great idea!!

GailG 05-18-2010 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by short-bread
I have two of my mats glued to a very thin piece of plywood and have been using them for two years and they work fine. In fact you have no problem with storage because you can stand them up or lay them down if you leave a little edge of the wood outside of the mat.

Welcome to the board Short-bread. I love your name.

zz-pd 05-18-2010 09:28 PM

I am so sorry, I wish I could help. God bless. Penny

quiltyjax 05-19-2010 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by tlp
ok here goes. i did a really dumb thing a while back and left a rotary cutting mat in my car and it is warped. i cannot bring myself to throw it away! is it possible to salvage it in any way or can it be put to another use?

I've done the same thing and everybody I asked said I'd ruined it. But I had to try, so I placed it on the floor in the spare room with the warped edges facing downwards - (so that a part of the mat was lifted up off the floor) then I literally emptied my book shelves and put as much weight as I could on it - we have alot of books! I left it for a month. This is not an exact science so whether I needed to leave it that long I don't know - I just didn't want to take off all the books only to have to put them back. I'm delighted to say its been fine since then.

Glenda C. 05-19-2010 10:29 AM

I have left my iron on one and I never got it flat again. Is it totally gone? I cut mine down just to a smaller size and I use it.
glenda in texas

patches 06-08-2010 06:31 PM

I too, left mine in the car to long and it warped. I tried everything except putting it back in the car again and nothing worked for me. I called the company and was instructed to do something I have not seen on here so far. That was to take a flat cookie sheet and put it in the freezer and lay that on top of the mat with weights on it several times. Did you ever try to put something that large in a full freezer? That was a lot of work taking everything out, sliding the cookie sheet in, then replacing the food. After doing this several times it still didn't not go flat. I was so disgusted! I make blue jean quilts and cutting a long narrow piece to slip into a pant leg makes it very easy to cut using a rotary cutter. That goes so fast that it ALMOST made me happy that it warped. Then I bought a QuiltCut 2 and my problems were solved.

GailG 06-08-2010 09:32 PM

What's a QuiltCut 2?