Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   early xmas (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/early-xmas-t67018.html)

Fancy Nancy 09-27-2010 04:46 AM

4 Attachment(s)
stopped at yard sale advertising fabric. didn't see much special and was over priced anyway but as leaving saw box full of cut xmas fabric squares. asked what she was selling those for as no price tag. only $3.00! Downsize is having to re-cut them - well really just trimming to 6.5 inches (size width of my cutting ruler). I think she must not have used a cutter/ruler system as her squares are a bit wonky. Other downsize is that were not pre-washed and now hope colors don't run. Definitly will use color catchers. But I guess this is always a problem when you buy precut squares. Can't prewash b/c may shrink (and would be a mess) and then have odd sizes of pre-cuts. Do most of you just sew with them and then wash after put together with color guard?

anyway - think will make easy type xmas quilts - maybe D9P ?

untrimmed stack
[ATTACH=CONFIG]109676[/ATTACH]

after trimmed down
[ATTACH=CONFIG]109757[/ATTACH]

stack on right not trimmed yet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]109758[/ATTACH]

lynndianne 09-27-2010 04:51 AM

Where am I when all these goodies are for sale? Lovely. My lqs owner never pre-washes her fabric. She says you don't need to. I've done both....wash or not wash and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Lynn

katsewnsew 09-27-2010 04:53 AM

MHO: If you feel the need to wash them, just stick them in your kitchen sink and hand wash lightly. Set them out to air dry. Then press them. D9P sounds like a wonderful idea for these! You really hit the jackpot for $3.00!!! What a lovely variety you have gotten. Good luck with them!

pocoellie 09-27-2010 04:55 AM

What a great deal. I don't prewash my fabrics anymore, unless they batiks.

newquilter10 09-27-2010 05:06 AM

What a neat find. I can see a beautiful quilt setting there.

quiltmaker 09-27-2010 05:15 AM

Lovely Christmas fabrics....you'll have fun with them and what a fabulous deal!

littlehud 09-27-2010 05:19 AM

What a great find. Those are going to be a wonderful Christmas quilt.

WANNABEE 09-27-2010 05:47 AM

Stunning fabrics.

Prism99 09-27-2010 09:28 AM

I don't prewash, but do test fabrics I think might run before using them in a quilt.

I always wash the quilt in Synthrapol for that first washing (suspends dye particles in the water so they don't settle into other fabrics) and also use color catchers if there are any suspicious fabrics in the quilt.

The only time this might not work is if you have a truly bad "bleeder" fabric -- the kind that bleeds a *lot*, not just a little, and keeps on bleeding forever. You can spot this kind of fabric by placing a 1" or 2" scrap in a glass of water; it will leave ribbons of dye in the water. With yardage, I would wash a fabric like this in Retayne to set dye and then re-test; with your pre-cut pieces, I would just not use that fabric in the quilt.

amma 09-27-2010 01:57 PM

What a great deal :D:D:D