Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: early xmas

stopped at yard sale advertising fabric. didn't see much special and was over priced anyway but as leaving saw box full of cut xmas fabric squares. asked what she was selling those for as no price tag. only $3.00! Downsize is having to re-cut them - well really just trimming to 6.5 inches (size width of my cutting ruler). I think she must not have used a cutter/ruler system as her squares are a bit wonky. Other downsize is that were not pre-washed and now hope colors don't run. Definitly will use color catchers. But I guess this is always a problem when you buy precut squares. Can't prewash b/c may shrink (and would be a mess) and then have odd sizes of pre-cuts. Do most of you just sew with them and then wash after put together with color guard?

anyway - think will make easy type xmas quilts - maybe D9P ?

untrimmed stack
    Name:  Attachment-109671.jpe
Views: 28
Size:  39.4 KB

after trimmed down
    Name:  Attachment-109752.jpe
Views: 31
Size:  49.0 KB

stack on right not trimmed yet
    Name:  Attachment-109753.jpe
Views: 31
Size:  37.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Where am I when all these goodies are for sale? Lovely. My lqs owner never pre-washes her fabric. She says you don't need to. I've done both....wash or not wash and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Lynn

MHO: If you feel the need to wash them, just stick them in your kitchen sink and hand wash lightly. Set them out to air dry. Then press them. D9P sounds like a wonderful idea for these! You really hit the jackpot for $3.00!!! What a lovely variety you have gotten. Good luck with them!

What a great deal. I don't prewash my fabrics anymore, unless they batiks.

Blog Entries
    What a neat find. I can see a beautiful quilt setting there.

Lovely Christmas fabrics....you'll have fun with them and what a fabulous deal!

What a great find. Those are going to be a wonderful Christmas quilt.

Stunning fabrics.

Blog Entries
    I don't prewash, but do test fabrics I think might run before using them in a quilt.

I always wash the quilt in Synthrapol for that first washing (suspends dye particles in the water so they don't settle into other fabrics) and also use color catchers if there are any suspicious fabrics in the quilt.

The only time this might not work is if you have a truly bad "bleeder" fabric -- the kind that bleeds a *lot*, not just a little, and keeps on bleeding forever. You can spot this kind of fabric by placing a 1" or 2" scrap in a glass of water; it will leave ribbons of dye in the water. With yardage, I would wash a fabric like this in Retayne to set dye and then re-test; with your pre-cut pieces, I would just not use that fabric in the quilt.

Blog Entries
    What a great deal :D:D:D

Now that you have them trimmed, I would not prewash them. The cut edges would fray. You really hit the jack pot dodn't you! Beautiful fabrics!

I saw a tip recently to use a salad spinner to wash small pieces with some soapy water, rinse really well, rinse the spinner and spin them dry.

Blog Entries
    Good for you. Will the quilt be for you or a gift?

Blog Entries
    How about disappearing 4 patch? Cute and different. You really scored for $3!! Lucky gal!

Sue

A few of those prints are right from my stash. You got what we call the buy of the auction. Enjoy using them.

I love the colors, what a great find and just in time for Christmas too.

Andie :-D

Blog Entries
    Cute fabrics! :thumbup:

For 3 bucks I would have jumped on it. Who cares if their a little wonky. Still very useable. Good job!

Wonderful deal!

I recently bought a couple of baggies of assorted pieces at a quilt show - they were in the sponsoring guild's members sale. I always wash and dry my fabrics. I wash new pieces with the towels or even with regular loads, and alway put color catchers in for insurance. Then I'll add them to my stach. This way anything in the cabinet is ready to go.
    Since I was unsure as some didn't feel like they had been washed, I washed all of them so I could use with confidence whenever I would want to use them with other fabrics from my stash.
    The pieces that were already cut into patches I put in a lingerie mesh bag to keep them from going down the drain(just in case) and to keep them somewhat corraled. This seemed to work out ok for me.

For a Pattern suggestion for your find I just saw a darling pattern in Quilt Magazine -the October November issue pgs.90 & 91 have the picture. It is all half square triangles. I checked the cover and since it is displayed until Oct 11 I bought it as I want to make it and didn't want to risk not getting it. I will try to scan and send a picture tomorrow if you like.

probably both - can make at least two or three lap quilts from them - have some xmas fab left from last year also - much will go together. want to get started on something but of course in the middle of two other lap quilt projects for xmas gifts. knowing me will start something new before finishing something i have already started - love new projects!

What a great deal you got! :thumbup: Have a wonderful time with your loot. I never have found fabric or sewing machines at the Sales around here. Wish I would! :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkiris
    How about disappearing 4 patch? Cute and different. You really scored for $3!! Lucky gal!

Sue
    yes - i think i may try that. any quilts made b/t now and 12/25 have to be easy and FAST! can't believe almost 10/1 already! good thing i work best under pressure!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pocoellie
    What a great deal. I don't prewash my fabrics anymore, unless they batiks.
    I have never washed fabrics with the exception of unbleached muslin. That pre-wash is a must because there is a lot of shrinkage.

About washing/not washing the fabric pieces, if you steam press them with a hot iron it gives you both parts of washing/drying in the machine. I found that out a long time ago from a friend. The steam is instead of the washing part and the heat instead of the dryer part. It will set colors and help control shrinkage.
    Found this out when I had a bunch of squares that were new to me and it was a great solution.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast