Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: early xmas

Wow! That is some pretty material! What do you all use for color catchers? is there something affordable (cheap) I can use?

Blog Entries
    Now that was a good buy!
    Not to take away from you;
    I also went to a yard sale a few weeks ago,looking for fabric. The lady had a box full of yarn new 16oz skeins, about 30 of them, I bought for $8.00. now if any is a crocheter here you know the bargan I am talking about! and all different colors as well, now if I can find fabric like that what a find!

that fabric you got is beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by lynndianne
    Where am I when all these goodies are for sale? Lovely. My lqs owner never pre-washes her fabric. She says you don't need to. I've done both....wash or not wash and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Lynn
    I have to agree as to 'why don't I ever happen onto these wonderful finds?' :?

Blog Entries
    I have heard you girls talk about color catchers or dye catchers, where do you get them? are they available in the stores or do you have to go to LQS?

Quote Originally Posted by tdgiffin
    Wow! That is some pretty material! What do you all use for color catchers? is there something affordable (cheap) I can use?
    Shout makes sheets called Color catchers, it is in the laundry aisle near the dryer sheets, and you put it in the washer when loading your clothes. If any fabrics in the wash have dyes leaking into the water it catches them and keeps them off the clothes. My youngest son would NEVER sort out his laundry and washes everything together, so I bought some and just told him to always toss one in the washer. That he would do. I think it has saved many of his clothes. When you take the clothes out of the washer you can see by the little sheet if any colors leaked into the wash, and it will be on the sheet instead of the other fabrics.

Blog Entries
    Nice selection...great score! You could re-cut some, use some for paper piecing, some for applique...tons of uses! Oh, how about jar covers for home-made food gifts? I took some of my scrap fabrics to school, I am a teacher, and for math, the kids had to cur the fabrics into 1" squares...and various other sizes and then in art they mod-podged the squares to smooth vases and jars (bought at Good Will, garage sales, etc.) for gifts for moms, sisters, aunts.

If I don't was the cut pieces of fabric, I make sure I do wash the top in cold water on my very gentle cycle with , and I can't think of the name of the product, a wash made to stop bleeding. It works every time for me. I have made a Christmas quilt top without washing any of the fabric but I have it commercially cleaned when needed. I just want the quilt to last my life time and still look good. I have had it cleaned twice and it still looks crisp and new.

Oh boy, I wish I'd stumble on a find like that! I could use the small prints for my ornaments.

What a great find. Enjoy.

What a nice save and great value. You will have a great time making Christmas out of them. Now who will bring in the apple pie?

These are very nice, wish I could run upon a deal like that sometime. :lol:

Good find. I really need to start going to sales.

last year our shop hop gave away charms... 8 @ each shop.

my dd & ddil & i all put them in individual lingerie bags & washed & dried them... i think out of all of them we had 1 charm that came out "off"

Blog Entries
    Could also make beautiful table runners. Great buy for $3!

Love all of it, don't know what I'd do with it, but I'd figure out sumpin for that good of a deal!

i love your material and wtg on your find that was a great deal

I never wash and never had a problem. If it happened I would consider the odds OK. I only use good stuff anyway - not worth the effort to use elcheapo quality.

You totally sored there, Great find :D :D

Blog Entries
    Lovely group of fabrics. Great find.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    what a great find. God bless.

Wow! That pink pionsettia one I have a bunch of that fabric I bought at a yard sale a couple of years ago. I made a runner out of it and will quilt it payday when I go to Walmart to get the batting for it. Enjoy, Huggis, Fay

Quote Originally Posted by farmquilter
    About washing/not washing the fabric pieces, if you steam press them with a hot iron it gives you both parts of washing/drying in the machine. I found that out a long time ago from a friend. The steam is instead of the washing part and the heat instead of the dryer part. It will set colors and help control shrinkage.
    Found this out when I had a bunch of squares that were new to me and it was a great solution.
    This is what I do, after washing my first bom that I ordered. It raveled so bad. Now my small pieces of fabric I steam iron on an old towel or cloth to catch color.

I would test because red can run and the Christmas fabric is not always the best. If it runs on your towel wash in sink in warm/hot water.

I also had a blue (dark) bleed on my white block in a finished quilt. I was in a hurry and did not wash. The tears I cried over that quilt although I finally got it all out.

Power Poster
    If I had seen this posting BEFORE you trimmed all the squares - I would have suggested washing them - that way there are no unpleasant surprises later -

Unpleasant surprises "before" are annoying - after the item is put together - they are "disastrous"

Although I do think we overuse words like "disastrous" "horrible" "awful" etc. for some relatively trivial events/happenings/situations.

Looks like you found some nice fabrics.

Quote Originally Posted by Fancy Nancy
    stopped at yard sale advertising fabric. didn't see much special and was over priced anyway but as leaving saw box full of cut xmas fabric squares. asked what she was selling those for as no price tag. only $3.00! Downsize is having to re-cut them - well really just trimming to 6.5 inches (size width of my cutting ruler). I think she must not have used a cutter/ruler system as her squares are a bit wonky. Other downsize is that were not pre-washed and now hope colors don't run. Definitly will use color catchers. But I guess this is always a problem when you buy precut squares. Can't prewash b/c may shrink (and would be a mess) and then have odd sizes of pre-cuts. Do most of you just sew with them and then wash after put together with color guard?

anyway - think will make easy type xmas quilts - maybe D9P ?
    IM very HO, I would attempt a Cathedral Window! I have always wanted to make one. There is a great tute here on how to machine stitch one. The Christmas fabrics would make beautiful windows.

Power Poster
    Oh wow those all look so nice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast