Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
early xmas >

early xmas

early xmas

Old 09-27-2010, 07:37 PM

probably both - can make at least two or three lap quilts from them - have some xmas fab left from last year also - much will go together. want to get started on something but of course in the middle of two other lap quilt projects for xmas gifts. knowing me will start something new before finishing something i have already started - love new projects!
Old 09-27-2010, 08:00 PM

What a great deal you got! :thumbup: Have a wonderful time with your loot. I never have found fabric or sewing machines at the Sales around here. Wish I would! :wink:
Old 09-27-2010, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Pinkiris
How about disappearing 4 patch? Cute and different. You really scored for $3!! Lucky gal!

Sue
yes - i think i may try that. any quilts made b/t now and 12/25 have to be easy and FAST! can't believe almost 10/1 already! good thing i work best under pressure!
Old 09-28-2010, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
What a great deal. I don't prewash my fabrics anymore, unless they batiks.
I have never washed fabrics with the exception of unbleached muslin. That pre-wash is a must because there is a lot of shrinkage.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:19 AM

About washing/not washing the fabric pieces, if you steam press them with a hot iron it gives you both parts of washing/drying in the machine. I found that out a long time ago from a friend. The steam is instead of the washing part and the heat instead of the dryer part. It will set colors and help control shrinkage.
Found this out when I had a bunch of squares that were new to me and it was a great solution.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:21 AM

Wow! That is some pretty material! What do you all use for color catchers? is there something affordable (cheap) I can use?
Old 09-28-2010, 04:25 AM

Now that was a good buy!
Not to take away from you;
I also went to a yard sale a few weeks ago,looking for fabric. The lady had a box full of yarn new 16oz skeins, about 30 of them, I bought for $8.00. now if any is a crocheter here you know the bargan I am talking about! and all different colors as well, now if I can find fabric like that what a find!

that fabric you got is beautiful!
Old 09-28-2010, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by lynndianne
Where am I when all these goodies are for sale? Lovely. My lqs owner never pre-washes her fabric. She says you don't need to. I've done both....wash or not wash and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Lynn
I have to agree as to 'why don't I ever happen onto these wonderful finds?' :?
Old 09-28-2010, 06:06 AM

I have heard you girls talk about color catchers or dye catchers, where do you get them? are they available in the stores or do you have to go to LQS?
Old 09-28-2010, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by tdgiffin
Wow! That is some pretty material! What do you all use for color catchers? is there something affordable (cheap) I can use?
Shout makes sheets called Color catchers, it is in the laundry aisle near the dryer sheets, and you put it in the washer when loading your clothes. If any fabrics in the wash have dyes leaking into the water it catches them and keeps them off the clothes. My youngest son would NEVER sort out his laundry and washes everything together, so I bought some and just told him to always toss one in the washer. That he would do. I think it has saved many of his clothes. When you take the clothes out of the washer you can see by the little sheet if any colors leaked into the wash, and it will be on the sheet instead of the other fabrics.