Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Easy, cheap, effective base for purses (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/easy-cheap-effective-base-purses-t52949.html)

newestnana 07-05-2010 07:21 AM

I had read this idea somewhere but finally got around to trying it. It works great!

To make an easy, cheap, effective base for purses, buy a square floor tile (I guess it's linoleum) and cut it to size. These are the peel and stick kind...mine is 12" square and cost about 70 cents at Home Depot. I used a pencil and one of my quilt rulers to mark the tile to size, then used the ruler and a utility knife to cut it (after several slices I could bend the tile back and then cut through the paper backing).

It provides just the right amount of flexibility and support. You can, of course, make a fabric envelope for it (I refer not to sew mine closed, so that it can be removed when the purse and base cover are washed).

GeriP 07-05-2010 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by newestnana
I had read this idea somewhere but finally got around to trying it. It works great!

To make an easy, cheap, effective base for purses, buy a square floor tile (I guess it's linoleum) and cut it to size. These are the peel and stick kind...mine is 12" square and cost about 70 cents at Home Depot. I used a pencil and one of my quilt rulers to mark the tile to size, then used the ruler and a utility knife to cut it (after several slices I could bend the tile back and then cut through the paper backing).

It provides just the right amount of flexibility and support. You can, of course, make a fabric envelope for it (I refer not to sew mine closed, so that it can be removed when the purse and base cover are washed).

What a great idea, I will definitely keep this in mind. Thank you.

CarrieAnne 07-05-2010 07:24 AM

Thanks, great idea!

Moon Holiday 07-05-2010 07:30 AM

Wow, I guess I will have to try that out. I've always used the plyable cross-stitch plastic and cut to fit the size of the bag.

2pedersens 07-05-2010 08:01 AM

Thanks for the great idea. Another idea is corragated plastic. If you have a sign making shop in your area, corragated plastic is used to make signs. Its easy to cut to size and costs less than a dollar per piece. :thumbup:

fireworkslover 07-05-2010 09:04 AM

All good ideas -thanks!

Up North 07-05-2010 09:10 AM

I have lots of tiles left over from projects! Guess what I will be using them for!!

Pam B 07-05-2010 09:33 AM

Thank you for the suggestion! I have purchased those BagE bottoms from Lazy Girl before but they are soooooo expensive. Your idea sounds like a very economical solution to the problem.

peaceandjoy 07-05-2010 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by 2pedersens
Thanks for the great idea. Another idea is corragated plastic. If you have a sign making shop in your area, corragated plastic is used to make signs. Its easy to cut to size and costs less than a dollar per piece. :thumbup:

I've seen this suggestion before and thought it was a good idea, but didn't know where to buy the materials. Lately, though, I've seen several signs for events that are past and thought about stopping to snag a couple.

Ditter43 07-05-2010 10:22 AM

I have another one...last year after Christmas I bought several rigid plastic placemats...I can cut enough bottoms from one to do a lot of purses...I think I paid about .25 each for them!