Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Economical foundation fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/economical-foundation-fabric-t52579.html)

Rural City Girl 07-03-2010 07:06 AM

I agree with Lori L and Sueisallaboutquilts. I also love the antique quilts, but that was then, and now is now. What would I do without Moda, Batiks, bright and beautiful colors? :|

I just have to comment on the use of the word cheaper. Since your posting was about higher price or lower price fabric, the use of cheaper was very appropriate. But, maybe this makes me a fabric snob, but buying cheaper fabric does not only mean less expensive, but in many cases it is less inferior.

I don't much like wordsmitting other peoples comments. :)

Lori L 07-03-2010 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I wish people would say "less expensive" instead of "cheaper"

One can still find nice/decent/good fabrics at comparatively "reasonable" prices if one knows what one is looking for and where to look.

"cheaper", to me, implies inferior quality.

I'm sorry..... I was trying to say "less money" by using the word cheaper. You're right......there are better words to use which don't sound sooo.......cheap?????

luv-e 07-03-2010 07:47 AM

Polly, I just loved your idea!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

sewcrafty 07-03-2010 07:54 AM

Boy, I wish you posted this earlier. I took apart my old eyelet lace bedskirt and THREW the top part away! :shock:

bearisgray 07-03-2010 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Lori L

One can still find nice/decent/good fabrics at comparatively "reasonable" prices if one knows what one is looking for and where to look.

I'm sorry..... I was trying to say "less money" by using the word cheaper. You're right......there are better words to use which don't sound sooo.......cheap?????

No criticism intended to any of the posts -

It's just when I was growing up, if anything/anyone was referred to as "cheap" - it was not meant as a compliment - old conditioning/associations are hard for me to outgrow.

So - if I've offended anyone, please accept my apologies.

mom-6 07-03-2010 08:06 AM

I save the term "sleazy" for the truly inferior ones!

"Cheap" can go either way! LOL!

Rural City Girl 07-03-2010 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Lori L

No criticism intended to any of the posts -

It's just when I was growing up, if anything/anyone was referred to as "cheap" - it was not meant as a compliment - old conditioning/associations are hard for me to outgrow.

So - if I've offended anyone, please accept my apologies.

Absolutely no offense taken!!!! I can understand why you feel that way. This is what I like about this board (for the majority of the time) we can voice our differing opinions, and agree to disagree without hard feelings, or feeling offended. :)

amma 07-03-2010 08:12 AM

Great idea, thanks for sharing :D:D:D

CarrieAnne 07-03-2010 08:16 AM

Bear is gray, I am very FRUGAL! Always have been. My dad always used to tease me....What do the birds say when they fly over your house????????? Cheep, cheep, lol! He hates that I dumpster dive, collect cans, pick, whatever, but I am in no debt, so he is proud of that!
Cheap got my bills paid off, and I only owe on my house now. Sometimes being cheap isnt bad, of course I do try to GIVE as well!

BellaBoo 07-03-2010 08:16 AM

My DD brought over two sheet sets she didn't want and said maybe I could find some use for them. In the past I would have taken them to the Salvation Army but not now. They make great backing for pot holders, place mats, table toppers, pincushions, and any other quilting project. I don't use sheets for quilt backing, yet. I have dozens of quilt backs in my stash. Cheap and Free, referring to cost, are two of my favorite words.